Backplate or vest BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bam540

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Im a newly certified diver who is wondering about what type of BC I should invest in. Im diving off the coast of New Jersey, and most of the guys on the boats that i have been on use a backplate set up. The dual tank set up seems a logical choice for extended bottom time. Is a backplate setup the way to go right off the bat, or should I buy a vest style BC, and work my way up to a backplate?

bam540:
Im a newly certified diver who is wondering about what type of BC I should invest in. Im diving off the coast of New Jersey, and most of the guys on the boats that i have been on use a backplate set up. The dual tank set up seems a logical choice for extended bottom time. Is a backplate setup the way to go right off the bat, or should I buy a vest style BC, and work my way up to a backplate?
I wish I had gone with a backplate and wing from the start, but many would disagree.

The only issue I have ever had with the backplate is that staying upright on the surface takes a little practice. Once I had that down, there were no problems at all.

See if you can try both.

Wow, it starts again.......:)

Ahhh...yes it does!! I go bp and wing!

There's nothing to 'work up to' on a bp/w. Go with it first, I sure wish I did. The only benefit to getting a jacket first is it'll make you appreciate the bp/w all that much more....but that's no excuse....:D

I whish I bought B/P and wings to start with. But I would not rush into getting doubles until you have plenty of experience since there is a lot of negative bouyancy and weight of gear to get used too. I assume anyone doing double set up these days will have steel doubles and not alums.

I went through the same decison process and started with a Sherwood Avid since there are very few BP/W users around here and I didn't be on my own getting it right (I did have some generorous offers but not locals I'd be diving wioth frequently) I'm happy with the Avid but I don't doubt there may be a BP/W in my future. Based on my homework if BP/W users surround you it's a no brainer.

Duals are probably not in your immediate best interest but the BP/W will host either though speciialized wings are usually prefered.

Pete

bam540:

ScubaSarus:
I assume anyone doing double set up these days will have steel doubles and not alums.

Could you expound on this a bit? I have every intention of using dual AL80s for a double set when I get there, as most of my diving will be in freshwater springs, and ocean. I suppose when I finally get to wreck/cave and have a drysuit, steels will be the tanks of choice.

PerroneFord:
Could you expound on this a bit? I have every intention of using dual AL80s for a double set when I get there, as most of my diving will be in freshwater springs, and ocean. I suppose when I finally get to wreck/cave and have a drysuit, steels will be the tanks of choice.
Well, I'm not him but I'll tell you and him that that is a totally irrational statement. AL80s are most likely the most popular first doubles, and are the best choice when diving wet. You are thinking right in using AL80s for wetsuit diving, whether it be fresh or salt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom