Zeagle inflator question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hex

Reaction score
I have a Zeagle tech that I purchased last May. Since buying it I have no complaints at all, I honestly believe I made a wise choice in investing in a Zeagle. Also this is really for my own knowledge, not a complaint by any means.

While out diving this week I noticed that my BC seemed to be very slowly accumulating air without me pushing the inflator. This made my buoyancy a little screwy but I was able to manage just by letting air out a little more often. So it seems that My Inflator valve has a leak or something to that degree. Now mind you I had it in for its annual service less than 2 months ago also. I called my LDS today told him about the issue and he said bring it in, he would replace it. So all is well and no problems.

Which finally brings me to my question, has anyone else experienced problems with the inflator leaking on their zeagle or is mine just a fluke? Obviously I will be keeping a closer eye on it now, but I was hoping to get an idea if this was a rare occurrence? Thanks in advance.

After several years of diving, mine has recently done the same thing. A $5 part and a hex key easily fixes the problem.

My son and I have both had ongoing problems with our zeagle ranger power inflators. Mainly the problem has been sticking when inflating, always recurs even soon after servicing. I got fed up recently and bought a scuba pro inflator. This is my only complaint about the BC though, otherwise we both like our zeagles alot.

Hex:
I have a Zeagle tech that I purchased last May. Since buying it I have no complaints at all, I honestly believe I made a wise choice in investing in a Zeagle. Also this is really for my own knowledge, not a complaint by any means.

While out diving this week I noticed that my BC seemed to be very slowly accumulating air without me pushing the inflator. This made my buoyancy a little screwy but I was able to manage just by letting air out a little more often. So it seems that My Inflator valve has a leak or something to that degree. Now mind you I had it in for its annual service less than 2 months ago also. I called my LDS today told him about the issue and he said bring it in, he would replace it. So all is well and no problems.

Which finally brings me to my question, has anyone else experienced problems with the inflator leaking on their zeagle or is mine just a fluke? Obviously I will be keeping a closer eye on it now, but I was hoping to get an idea if this was a rare occurrence? Thanks in advance.

My inflator has done the same thing twice now. In both cases it was after beach dives where sand had worked its way into the valve.

To clean the valve out do this: Turn the inflator valve body out with a large pair of forceps (finding a tool to turn the valve out was the hardest part). There is a threaded pin, coaxial with the valve body, with a hex at the back. Remove that. Remove all the o-rings, clean everything, re-lube and re-assemble.

You should be OK then, but do give your BC twenty or so short bursts of air, make sure the valve behaves "normally" and your BC is holding pressure and not creeping up or down. Listen for leaks or dunk the whole thing the bathtub and look for bubbles. Better to verify at home than on the beach, or in the water!

The LDS's I have dealt with have done a consistently poor job of BC service. You are better off doing it yourself.

Sand, small shell fragments, or stuff like that are generally the cause of this. We do have a relatively inexpensive inflator kit that will fix the problem.

The part # is 145-1000. Retail price is somewhere around $8.50ish...

Scott

ScottZeagle:
Sand, small shell fragments, or stuff like that are generally the cause of this. We do have a relatively inexpensive inflator kit that will fix the problem.

The part # is 145-1000. Retail price is somewhere around $8.50ish...

Scott

Is this a service kit or a engineering change that prevents the problem?

Otter:
Is this a service kit or a engineering change that prevents the problem?

The engineering redesign is a DIY, clean it really well after the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom