To SS or Aluminum BP/Wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cold_Under_Here

Contributor
Reaction score
So what are your suggestions?

I dive a minimum of 7mm (yup,lol), both in Fresh and Salty waters. Would it be safer to go with the unditchable SS plate of ~6lb or the neutral AL plates? (I don't care about comfort, I don't mind weight belts)... I dive AL tanks aswell. I PLAN to go dry one day, when a nice DUI falls from the sky...hehehe...ow!!! :luxhello:

thanks! :bandsmlz:

It all depends on the type of diving and how much weight you will use. I dive an AL BP, but I don't use any weight in a 3mm in fresh water. I also don't use any weight in my doubles. I just add a P-weight or weight belt when needed.

Cold_Under_Here:

I dive a minimum of 7mm (yup,lol), both in Fresh and Salty waters. Would it be safer to go with the unditchable SS plate of ~6lb or the neutral AL plates? (I don't care about comfort, I don't mind weight belts)... I dive AL tanks aswell. I PLAN to go dry one day, when a nice DUI falls from the sky...hehehe...ow!!! :luxhello:

Safer...hmm...what exactly are you asking? I'm not sure that I follow.

Cold_Under_Here:
I use a little over 20lb in fresh and a little over 30lb in salty.
Since you are using a fair amount of lead I would encourage you to get a Stainless Steel plate. The 6 pounds or so of weight that the plate has will be placed over your lungs and not down around your waist, this will have a net effect of helping to keep you more horizontal when in the water. Your lungs are a large air space and having the weight on your back will help you with good horizontal trim. You might even be a good candidate for the DSS backplate with the aditional weight plates. You would still need a larger total amount of weight so the rest could be on a weight belt and that weight would be ditchable.

The only disadvanteges of the steel plates are the cost and additional weight in your suitcase when traveling.

To me it looks like a total no brainer.

Mark Vlahos

Backplates ain't bank-breakers... get one of each.
I use my Fred-T heavy steel for all AL and for steels up to Faber 85s, Aluminum for larger steels.
Rick

Cold_Under_Here:

Stainless Steel

Get the steel, no question.

Cold_Under_Here:
I use a little over 20lb in fresh and a little over 30lb in salty.
Wow...that's a nice chunk of lead on you in salt water. The question isn't steel vs. aluminum but how many steel plates you need stacked.
FredT can make you a 15-pound steel plate or you could stack a couple of standard 6-pounders from the same manufacturer and cut some of the lead off your belt.

Back
Top Bottom