Do You Have To Align Your BP With Your Tank Before Fastening The Cam Buckles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realdiver7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just switched over to a different backplate, and noticed that I have to align the BP straight up and down on the tank before I cinch down the cam buckles. In other words, if I just cinch down the cams without making sure the BP is straight up and down, just cinching the cams alone will not straighten up the BP like on all jacket and back inflation BCDs. The BP will end up at about a 15 degree tilt on the tank.

The only odd thing I can identify is that my top wing grommet hole does not line up with my shoulder strap grommet on the back of the plate, so my wing nut doesn't go through the top grommet. However, the bottom grommets do line up so my bottom wing nut goes through both grommets. Also, my wing has a built-in soft STA to stabilize my tank.

I don't think the grommets or the STA are a problem, but I would like to know if having to line up the BP with the tank before cinching the cams is a common occurence with most BPs. I would also like to know if when it is lined up and cinched down hard, if it usually stays in place the entire dive. I don't want to go drilling holes and reinventing the wheel if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help!

realdiver:
Also, my wing has a built-in soft STA to stabilize my tank
That's the problem. It's much easier for things to get a little off kilter if you don't have an STA.

I had to pay attention and make sure I was putting everything on straight when I wasn't using an STA.

jonnythan:
That's the problem. It's much easier for things to get a little off kilter if you don't have an STA.

I had to pay attention and make sure I was putting everything on straight when I wasn't using an STA.

Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that this is normal when a STA isn't used? I'm waiting for a new soft STA that bolts on to the BP. Do you think that will solve the issue? Also, did the BP stay straight without the STA once you cinched the cams down?

realdiver7:
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that this is normal when a STA isn't used? I'm waiting for a new soft STA that bolts on to the BP. Do you think that will solve the issue? Also, did the BP stay straight without the STA once you cinched the cams down?
I honestly have no idea what a "soft STA" is. I know I have an aluminum one that solves the problem just fine.

It's really not even a "problem." You have to pay enough attention to get it straight while you tighten it down, but once it's tight it should be OK.

jonnythan:
I honestly have no idea what a "soft STA" is. I know I have an aluminum one that solves the problem just fine.

It's really not even a "problem." You have to pay enough attention to get it straight while you tighten it down, but once it's tight it should be OK.

OK, I didn't think it was a big deal. Attached is a picture of a Soft STA. When they compress they apply force to the cam straps to help keep them tight.

Thanks again.

realdiver7:
I just switched over to a different backplate, and noticed that I have to align the BP straight up and down on the tank before I cinch down the cam buckles. In other words, if I just cinch down the cams without making sure the BP is straight up and down, just cinching the cams alone will not straighten up the BP like on all jacket and back inflation BCDs. The BP will end up at about a 15 degree tilt on the tank.

The only odd thing I can identify is that my top wing grommet hole does not line up with my shoulder strap grommet on the back of the plate, so my wing nut doesn't go through the top grommet. However, the bottom grommets do line up so my bottom wing nut goes through both grommets. Also, my wing has a built-in soft STA to stabilize my tank.

I don't think the grommets or the STA are a problem, but I would like to know if having to line up the BP with the tank before cinching the cams is a common occurence with most BPs. I would also like to know if when it is lined up and cinched down hard, if it usually stays in place the entire dive. I don't want to go drilling holes and reinventing the wheel if it's not necessary.

Thanks for your help!

What I do:

Place rig on tank, set height on tank, and snug top camband.

Check that the plate is verticle, tap bottom of plate around if it is not.

Snug lower camband....Done. Tank stays in place 'till I remove it.

Tobin

realdiver7:
OK, I didn't think it was a big deal. Attached is a picture of a Soft STA. When they compress they apply force to the cam straps to help keep them tight.

Thanks again.
I've never seen anything like that before. Odd.

realdiver7:

Thanks for your help!

What plate did you switch to and what were you using before? Are you using an Oxy wing or something else?

I like the regular STAs. They make things very easy and secure. But I am anxious to try Tobin's solution.

Back
Top Bottom