BP/W ditchable weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zbskii

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about getting the DSS single tank rig - do most people wear just a weight belt? Or ditchable weight pockets on the waistband? We use 7mm wetsuits here, so I need a lot of weight. With a jacket BC I wear most of my weight on a belt, then use the pockets to adjust. What's the best way with a BP/W setup?

zbskii:
Thinking about getting the DSS single tank rig - do most people wear just a weight belt? Or ditchable weight pockets on the waistband? We use 7mm wetsuits here, so I need a lot of weight. With a jacket BC I wear most of my weight on a belt, then use the pockets to adjust. What's the best way with a BP/W setup?

If you already use a weight-belt, I would see no reason why you would need to add weightpockets or intergrated weights to the BP/W harness. Depending on the weight of your plate and STA you should be able to remove a lot of weight from your belt making it even move comfortable for you. Adding a pound or two of trim weight can easily be done by throwing soft weights into any pockets you might add to the harness. For the most part you hopefully won't have to fiddle around with weighting once you have everything dialed in.

Most folks use a weight belt. I didn’t care for using a weight belt with my set up, so I got some XS Scuba weight pockets and mounted them upside down on the waist belt. I personally would avoid the “ditchable” weight systems that most companies sell. They are very bulky and kill the streamlined effect of a BP/W.

I just use a weightbelt. I'm, a pretty big guy (6'0, 240) and use about 12-15 pounds with a 7mm suit.

I disagree about ditchable weight systems---if you've got to wear quite a bit of weight in cold water (20-30lbs), the ability to ditch some weight and not all weight, could be the difference between getting bent and being able to make a controlled ascent. I've got a DUI Weight & Trim Classic & love it----velcro pockets are another good way to go about this. The best part is that it is a backpack type harness, so the weight never feels like it is going to slip off your hips and the weight is distributed nicely when you are out of the water.

Blackfish:
I disagree about ditchable weight systems---if you've got to wear quite a bit of weight in cold water (20-30lbs), the ability to ditch some weight and not all weight, could be the difference between getting bent and being able to make a controlled ascent. I've got a DUI Weight & Trim Classic & love it----velcro pockets are another good way to go about this. The best part is that it is a backpack type harness, so the weight never feels like it is going to slip off your hips and the weight is distributed nicely when you are out of the water.
I like mine, too - how it feels on my back. The big yellow insta-dump-pulls are a bad deal, though, so I've tucked mine back inside under the pocket where they now permanently stay hidden, as if they were never there.

I use a pouch belt (as does Tobin of DSS, I believe...).

I wear it under my crotch strap, so the belt itself is not ditchable, but I can open up the pouches to dump.

If you wear a lot of weight, this might not be the BEST idea, but assuming you are a calm, aware diver, you should have enough time to pull out an appropriate amount of weight if a situation arises.

With my HP100, I wear a whopping 4 pounds on my belt (7mm wet).

Blackfish:
FWIW, the XS Scuba pockets I mentioned are velcro pockets. Mounted upside down you can ditch "some weight and not all weight". The ditchable weight systems I was thinking of were the OMS and Deep Outdoors. BULKY!

If you need 20-30lbs a heavy BP might be in order. . .

xiSkiGuy:
Most folks use a weight belt. I didn’t care for using a weight belt with my set up, so I got some XS Scuba weight pockets and mounted them upside down on the waist belt. I personally would avoid the “ditchable” weight systems that most companies sell. They are very bulky and kill the streamlined effect of a BP/W.
I have those same XS pockets, never thought of mounting them upside down. I'll change that tonight since I wanted to be able to ditch my weight if need be.

I use an XS Scuba weight belt that consists of three pockets on each side that I place soft weights into. I typically wear 16 lbs when using my singles rig with drysuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom