Securing macro lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I've got 2 Inon 165's and was wondering about the best way to secure them as they don't have anywhere to attach a lead like the WA lens does. I'm not too worried about it while it is on the camera, more if I have to unscrew it or screw it on. I'd hate to drop it on the wall at Sipadan...600m straight down! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mel

Mel.B:
Hi,

I've got 2 Inon 165's and was wondering about the best way to secure them as they don't have anywhere to attach a lead like the WA lens does. I'm not too worried about it while it is on the camera, more if I have to unscrew it or screw it on. I'd hate to drop it on the wall at Sipadan...600m straight down! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
mel
Here is a Nice Lens Dock

Thanks for the link. I probably didn't make myself clear enough in my original post. My understanding with that lens dock (and any others) is that there is no way to have the 165 macro lens secure when you remove it from the dock, because there is nowhere to put a lead. So when you unscrew it from the dock (for example when you are transferring it from the dock to the housing) it is loose - if I drop it, it's goodbye. Ideally I'm after something so that If i drop it, it's still attached to the housing. Does that make sense??

Thanks,
mel

Hi Alcina,

Do you find you take the macro lenses on and off much or do they stay on for the whole dive? Maybe if they stay on for the whole dive it's not so much of a worry. I guess I'm just worried because I wear thick gloves and the threads for the screws are so fine, that's it going to be tricky getting the lens on and off.

Hopefully someone has a solution!
mel

Hi Mel, wrestling with the same problem. Look at your lenses, look for the little hole between them that the air can escape through. I wonder if we were to drill another little hole and attach a tiny little ring, whether it would show in the pictures?

I will ponder that while using mine this weekend.

Mel.B:
Hi,

Thanks,
mel

I know exactly what you mean as I have an INON 165 also. What I did simply was to get a zip-tie that was long enough to wrap around the circumference of the lens. But make sure you get the zip-ties with the eyelet in it. I secured the zip-tie tight around the lens, then taped it down with some bright yellow duct tape all around. I then got a 12" metal fishing leader that I clipped one end into the eyelet of the zip-tie, and clipped the other onto my camera tray. Works like a charm. Should the lens come loose for any reason, the bright yellow tape gives you a fighting chance of seeing it if it lands on the bottom.

Warren definitely has the best idea I've seen, if you are worried about losing them.

Mel - on a lot of dives I will take them on and off throughout the dive. I wear 3mm gloves so perhaps it isn't so much of an issue. The biggie for me is slowing down and paying attention to what I'm doing - if I try to rush or do it without attention I can fumble a bit.

This is how the leash looks. Be sure to use a leader that has a swivel to it so that the leader doesn't twist up when attaching the lens to the camera or the lens dock.

Mel.B:
Hi,

Thanks,
mel

I have one Inon 165 and one Inon 105 WA. I use a o-ring with spring coil on the Inon 105. I drilled 1/16 two holes ( don't drill on glass len) top of len Inon 165 then yellow Nylon line & 2' Trident spring coil. I used them for more than 150 dives and no problem.
Easy clean after dive. See two pictures of Inon 165.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom