who brings their cameras on every dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
guys i have been the unluckiest diver when it comes to the perfect shots. seems like when the best oppurtunities for "the perfect shot" emerge, i always end up without my camera. usually in a 4 dive a day stint, il bring my camera twice and take mediocre shots but on those two dives i dont bring my camera thast when the best moments occur!

any of you guys experience the same thing? should i bring my camera for that just in case for that money shot?

My last 200++ dives have been with my camera, always. I suppose it is pretty much part of my divegear :)

I don't bring a camera on any dive. I am too busy living the experience to want to capture it. Cameras only get in the way and often bring our the worst behavior in some people. For some divers, it is a distraction that leads to safety risks. While I appreciate great photos of a site (particularly one that I am interested in visiting), I don't see the need for everyone to be a photo hound. More people should just try to enjoy the expierience more completely, by truely being there and living it to the fullest. You would be surprised how much more flattering memories are, compared to photos.

I take mine (a Sony DSC-T1) on every dive (except night dives) I clip it to my left D-ring and it stays out of the way—mind you I don’t take my UW photos very seriously; most of my shots are for ID purposes.

The same thing happens to me. But since most of my dives involve performing ecological tasks and/or nature instruction, I usually need both hands free. I think this is a major reason why a lot of divers don't bring cameras on dives.

So I built this screwy chest-mounted harness for my Canon S50 housing, that keeps it readily accessible, yet out of the way. It won't win any prizes for beauty, but it works. Can't mount a strobe, though.

I bring my camera on most dives, with the exception of dives where I have a lot to manage, when I'm on training dives with students, or just my regular practice sessions at our local shore site. Otherwise, If I'm paying money for a charter, my camera almost always comes with me.

SStrecker:
I am too busy living the experience to want to capture it.
Since I started taking my little optio on dives I've taken in on every dive. It helps me see a lot more during the dive and see things after the dive that I couldn't possibly see during the dive... even using my magnifying glass.

FinalEyes1.jpg

FinalEyes.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom