Sunpak G Flash - Test dive #3 / some macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got to dive with the strobe again today, unfortunately the viz in the spring was 5' due to recent rains. The water was milky until near the bottom of the basin. The cavern was blowing twigs and debris all over (see first picture). Some of the fish were cooperating at the bottom of the basin, but the camera did not know what to focus on because of all the particles and how dark it was. I went into the cavern where the water was clear but the creatures are very light skittish. I managed to get the two comparison shots below. Since I don't have a focus light set up yet, they are not very crisp. I'm still concentrating on what kind of light comes out of this strobe so I'm not too disappointed.

Viz from the mouth of the cavern looking up:

mviz.jpg

f5.6 1/80 ISO64 strobe 1/2 power

m56.jpg

f8.0 1/80 ISO64 strobe full power

m80.jpg

SeaYoda,

If you don't mind me asking could you tell me more about this particular strobe?
Compared to other models it seems to cost substantially less, light output looks pretty good too.

EDIT - Noticed other similiar threads at the bottom of the page here, interesting info..

Jamdiver:
...If you don't mind me asking could you tell me more about this particular strobe? Compared to other models it seems to cost substantially less, light output looks pretty good too...
I have no experience with other strobes so it's hard for me to give a comparison of features. It seems strong enough to light things up to about 6' away (that was with the diffuser off). I have noticed the things that others have said about this model - tight beam, bright, battery compartment design is a little strange, and low cost. I was not sure about it's quality, but I have not been disappointed so far. I'm still experimenting to see what it can do. I'll probably get in the water and take some pics of rocks (they don't usually change or move too much :D) with the same distance but changing settings to see what this thing can do. After I play with it some more, I'll get serious about using it creatively. There are several others that are interested in this strobe so I'll be posting my adventures.

Justleesa,
I felt like I was on the inside of a Kaleidoscope :D.

Alcina,
Even though conditions have not been the best, I have had fun playing :thumb:.
I could have lowered the power of the strobe on the f5.6 shot and gotten the background softer than the f8.0 while not having so much light. The strobe has a continuous dial so no clicks to feel in a dark cavern - I only knew what setting it was on after the picture by looking with my light. It's kinda like driving a stick shift car for the first time - lots of things distracting all at once. I'll eventually learn the feel of the knob or invent some way of knowing what the power setting is - for now I use the point and hope method :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom