Zeagle Ranger use question - on surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dvleemin

Contributor
Reaction score
So on Sat I finally got to try out my new Ranger - albeit in a pool. In any case, I got to get wet.

This is the first back inflated BC that I've ever had - and it sure felt different. Especially on the surface. It always felt like it was pushing me forward on my face. Only putting the min amount of air needed to keep me floating helped.

I was wondering if this is normal? Is there anything that can be done to stop this?

Thanks,

Darryl

I purchased my Ranger right after getting certified - haven't really experienced too much of the feeling like I'm being pushed face forward - but perhaps since I only used the jacket style BC during my OW dives, I didn't have enough experience to really differentiate between the two.

Don't over inflate it. You may also try leaning back a little bit (ala LaZboy recliner style) and that may help.

I've been diving a Ranger for the past year and I don't have that problem even when the bladder is fully inflated. I am still able to swim on my back. You may want to experiment with the height position of your tank. This might be a factor. If you aren't able to solve the problem with that you can buy trim weight pouches that attach to the tank bands which will help balance it out but IMO those are just an unnecessary hassle.

Hi,
thanks for the replies. I guess I'm making it sound worse that it is. I have no problem swimming on my back (it feels like a nice recliner :) ).

Its just a feeling like you're tipping forward. Very different than a jacket style BCD.

Darryl

Do you use the crotch strap? I found mine pushing me forward all the time, but then looking back its likely because it was riding up on me - something the crotch strap would have helped i'm sure. I've since moved to a back plate and wings and have a crotch strap with that new setup and feel completely comfortable in the water at any angle. Both back inflation but the bp/wings never rides up on me because of the crotch strap. Worth a try.

steve

Darryl,
I dive with a Ranger also. You're going to love it when you get it in open water. Sounds like you need to lower your tank just a bit, that's all. Dive Safely. :tree: Bob.

Originally posted by wetman
Do you use the crotch strap? I found mine pushing me forward all the time, but then looking back its likely because it was riding up on me - something the crotch strap would have helped i'm sure
steve
Good point Wetman...I forgot to mention that I use a crotch strap with my Ranger. Darryl, keep in mind if you get the Zeagle crotch strap it's pretty low quality. It only took a few dives and I busted a fastex buckle and the sewing started to rip out so I ended up re-sewing it and replaced the buckle. The crotch strap does help though. If I'd known that before I ordered it I would have made my own crotch strap out of some heavy duty harness or something. Better yet I should have just bought a BP/Wing setup...shh...I gotta quit telling myself that, I've already spent too much money on gear this year, LOL!
:eek:ut:

Although I use a backplate and wings setup now, I used to dive with a ranger. It was my first BC and took a little getting used to but soon after doing a few dives with it I learned to lean back a little and not over inflate. I grew into it without any problems, its just a matter of getting some dives in with it.

~Marlinspike

I had that face-down feeling with my Ranger, too. It can trap air, so be be prepared to re-orient yourself underwater to get the air bubble close to a dump valve when you are dumping. I had better luck when I stopped using the integrated weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom