Using Pony Bottle on STA less BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Do any of you who have BP/W's that are designed not to need a STA also use pony bottles?

My cam band is always loose at the end of the dive and the tank is rotated several degrees. I'm sure it is the weight of the 30 cu ft pony bottle that is doing this. I've read where using a STA might fix the problem but I'm reading other places that it shouldn't be any more stable.

My pony bottle attaches to only one of the cam bands. I know it's possible to use a pony bottle with a BP/W because I've seen others do it. I had no problem in this regard with my old jacket style BC.

While I am not a big advocate of slinging a pony bottle, if I were to use a 30 cuft, that is probably the way I would go.

I use a 13...wish I had a 19....and my DR TransPlate has no STA and the pony (using the Ponease bottle mount) also attaches to the cam bands. I have no tilt at all even though I also have no STA. But then, it is a much smaller bottle than what you are luggin around.
My question would be, even with a STA....what would keep that kind of weight from altering the whole bcd and make it tilt to one side STA or no STA?

I tried my 3l pony on a wing (no STA) and hated it, due to the amount it stuck out to the side it rolled me hugely even with lead the opposite side. The constantly shifting bubble of air in the wing made it worse. With my old jacket BC the pony was perfect on the side of the main tank. It only attaches to one cam strap (just as well since my wing only HAS one cam strap) and tends to rotate it. Looking at the setup from directly behind the bottle actually angles out maybe 20 degrees from the vertical due to pull on the strap. I should image an STA could make things worse as it holds the tanks further from the plate making roll even worse.

After a while trying i gave up and side slung it where its a lot more comfortable.

STA = Single Tank Adapter

I tried a pony bottle in both configurations.. Tank mounted and using a sling. I opt for slinging the pony. Much more stable, and you can keep an eye on the pressure gauge.

gcbryan:
My pony bottle attaches to only one of the cam bands. I know it's possible to use a pony bottle with a BP/W because I've seen others do it.
Do you have the 30 on an x-bracket type mount going through one of your two tank straps?
I would think that would be pretty weak. I've mounted a 19 on an x-bracket but used an independent 3rd strap, that was solid.

You might want to look into a 2 point bracket, they make one with pins and to ease transfer to your second tank.

I use to use my sta-less wing sta-less, I didnt like it at all, even without a pony (I sling a 40),
Then I got a nice sta and the thing is solid. You mount it to the tank then assemble the plate and wing like you would doubles.
Not to mention getting weight off your belt if you need to.

Regardless, IMO, a 30cf is a pretty big tank to mount as a pony.

Zeagle has a simple pony mount system that locks the tank solidly, (like it's welded on), to a primary tank by the cam band(s). No STA needed.
It is #8029HD. They come in pairs, MSRP is just under $50. Most dealers will usually sell one also.

No tools required to put on or take off in seconds. No screw-on stainless hose clamps.

6 or 13 cf only need one band.
19, 30 or 40 cf are best with the pair.

I use a 30 cf on BCs or BP&Ws, mounted valve side up. It keeps it out of the way. Take two pounds out of the weight pocket on the pony side for easy balance.

Chad

Granted the Z one is nice....but takes too much time to change in my book....and on a rolling boat???

I will stick with my ponease.

www.sea-lutions.com/ponease

I use the Zeagle pony staps when mounting to the tank, I can say they are very firmly mounted. It does bring up the point often expressed about its accessability being that its mounted behind you. Unknown air leak etc. That said slinging the pony regardless of size seems the ideal way to configure, especially when going inside an overhead environment. I change things up often and see validity in many configurations depending upon the specific dive.

A ponybottle should be small, less or equal to a 13 cu ft bottle. One strap will hold them on easily, they don't stick out and the only reason you'd have one back there in the first place is for dry suit or BC inflation.:14:
If the bottle is a 30, sling it up front with the proper hardware and it'll be in the slipstream and not a problem. Your dive light battery pack goes onn the opposite side to counterbalance the weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom