Wing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC

Contributor
Reaction score
I am having problems with my wing valve connections. Every time I unscrew either the lower dump valve or the corrugated hose connection….it unscrews from the part that is INSIDE the wing.

To be sure we are all on the same sheet of music…..there are three parts that screw together. There is a threaded part inside the wing. It sticks out and another part screws onto that. This part has threads on the inside of the ring…to screw onto the part in the wing…and threads on the outside so that the “cap” or hose can then screw on to it. And, finally, there are the hose and pull cap pieces.

It is the most inner and middle piece that keeps coming undone.

Is there anything I can put on the threads to keep that from happening? I super clean after each dive so it isn’t accumulation that is causing the problem.

Ideas??

RICHinNC:
Is there anything I can put on the threads to keep that from happening? I super clean after each dive so it isn’t accumulation that is causing the problem.

Ideas??

I use Loctite for locking steel screws into tapped holes in plastics. Just Google Loctite. They have all kinds of thread sealers and adhesives.

Rich, I'm having that problem right now, and finally I crossthreaded one of the two parts -- not sure what's crossthreaded -- the part inside the wing that has the "male" part of the connection or the "female" part that goes on the outside of the wing and bladder. To make sure we're talking the same part, is there a funny rubber split washer that's functionally like two washers that are glued together at the inner edge?

From the time the wing was new I never could get the part that's *supposed* to uncrew off, off...

I'm getting ready to send it back to Halcyon. Talking to "Ken" at Halcyon, there's supposedly a special tool that holds the inside part in place so you can tighten the outer flange down onto it tightly enough to make it airtight and to encourage the *correct* part to unscrew...

Roak

I've had the problem a couple times with my DR wing. I believe they use the same valves as Halcyon and a number of others. Replacement parts and tool are available thru: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/aircells.shtml about 3/4 of the way down the page. BC2748 is the entire valve and BC2806 is the tool. I believe BC2745 and 2746 are the inner & middle pieces that like to come apart in stead of the middlle and outer pieces. I tried getting by without the tool but will order it next time I have a problem to get the inner pieces really tight. The inner pieces need to be really tight and the outer piece just tight enough not to come loose. I tried silicon on the outer piece threads but that didn't seem to help a lot. I have found that when it comes apart wrong, I can just barely get a grip on the edges of the middle piece with a set of channel lock pliers and a strap wrench on the outer piece, along with appropriate use of hot water and ice. and have been successful in getting them seperated without too much damage. But I keep spares on hand as its just a matter of time before I destroy the middle piece.

I called the guy I bought the wing from....no help there. He suggested I call DR.

So I did call DR and they were very nice and said I could ship the defective part back to me and they would send me a new one.

While I greatly appreciate they attitude and help....I still feel like I have the problem and would like more to get that resolved than just replace the part and have the problem persist..(*but thanks DR*)

I will go check out that site awap and see what the tool is you are talking about.

The thought does cross my mind....since the INNER and MIDDLE parts are NOT suppose to come apart.....would it be a bad thing to put LockTight on them????

On my DR wing the large threaded male part seems to be glued to the outer shell. It looks like there is a small inner ring inside the actual hole with two "nubs" for tightening. I think you just need to make some sort of spanner to tighten it. I'm just quessing and don't have the time or the guts to try it out. Its early. (Now I can't find my hose.)

RICHinNC:
The thought does cross my mind....since the INNER and MIDDLE parts are NOT suppose to come apart.....would it be a bad thing to put LockTight on them????
They are not suppose to come apart except when they are suppose to come apart. Like when you want to replace them because of a cross-thread or breakage. I wouldn't Locktite them if the manufacturer didn't. I'd just tighten them well with the proper tool.

I understand where you are coming from DWT....but then my question would be.....isnt the wing trashed if the INNER component is ever stripped or broken?? How would you get another one in there??

RICHinNC:
I understand where you are coming from DWT....but then my question would be.....isnt the wing trashed if the INNER component is ever stripped or broken?? How would you get another one in there??

It is all replacable. The inner "nut" will slip in and out through the opening it is installed in. I even used a complete DPV from DRexpress to add a lower dump valve to an older scubapro BCD. Cutting that first hole in a perfectly good BC was as big a step as my first reg disassembly.

So...I could have a right shoulder dump put on my REC wing???

Back
Top Bottom