Some Questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Erik Il Rosso

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to switch to a BP/W but there are some grey areas where I would like to bring some light on so that I can order all the items I need...

1) I am considering buying Halcyon Piooner 36 as wings...
Does it attach to whichever backplate I find on the market ???
Do I need a STA or not ???

2) Are all the SS backplates the same or is it better to pay a premium for a better refined plate ?
According to me the Dive Rite plate costs too much even if it looks fantastic on their web site...

3) How many straps do I have to buy for the Pioneer 36 (one or two) ???
Do straps come with the wings of not ???

4) Being completly new to this configuration where do I attach my back-up light, back-up regulator and SMB ???

A list of items to buy would be really appreciated...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso:
I would like to switch to a BP/W but there are some grey areas where I would like to bring some light on so that I can order all the items I need...

1) I am considering buying Halcyon Piooner 36 as wings...
Does it attach to whichever backplate I find on the market ???
Do I need a STA or not ???
As long as the slots for the staps on the wing line up with the slots on the backplate, yes. Otherwise no. Some backplates don't even have slots in the center channel for tank bands.

2) Are all the SS backplates the same or is it better to pay a premium for a better refined plate ?
I have a DSS backplate. DeepSeaSupply.com It is very nice. Its not all that inexpensive, though, unless you buy it as part of a whole system (bp/wing/tank bands/harness/d-rings/etc). I would definitely buy it again due to the grommets on the webbing slots, but that's just me. It also comes in three sizes if you are tallish or shortish. If you are buying a backplate ala-carte, the Hammerhead plates at HammerheadScuba.com seems to be priced attractively (but not as attractive as that model, caution, link may not be safe for work). There are a lot of people who like the Halcyon, also not cheap.

3) How many straps do I have to buy for the Pioneer 36 (one or two) ???
Two.

Do straps come with the wings of not ???
No they don't, not unless you are buying a complete system. Sometimes if you buy a STA (single tank adapter) they have a package deal that includes the tank bands. The best tank bands are IMO the DiveRite with metal cams or the ScubaPro with metal cams, again, those won't be the least expensive. Plastic works, these just work better IMO. YMMV.

4) Being completly new to this configuration where do I attach my back-up light, back-up regulator and SMB ???
Backup lights get boltsnaps tied to the end, the boltsnaps clip to your chest d-rings. Usually held in place with a loop of bungie or even a loop of small innertube. SMB goes in a drysuit pocket, or can be clipped off to the bottom of your backplate.

A list of items to buy would be really appreciated...
Since you are new to this and don't have any of the pieces and parts already, it wouldn't hurt to look at a package. Backplate, wing, tank adapter if needed, tank straps, harness webbing, d-rings, etc.

I have the DSS single tank rig. There are other packages that would suit your needs as well. NortheastScubaSupply.com has quite a deal on "Famous Name Backplate & Wings" which is DiveRite, but make sure you understand what all you will need, their $329 special doesn't include tank bands or optional STA. Lots of DIR people like the Halcyon stuff. The Pioneer package can be used without a STA to save a few bucks, or the Eclipse looks very bulletproof for a wing. Also lots of Oxycheq fans. Also the people at DiveRiteExpress.com have been very helpful to me. Do a search and have fun.

Check out the 5thd-x site, click on the Learning Center link on the left under the Information heading: http://www.5thd-x.com/index2.html

John

I think i got the final decision...

PLS CONFIRM THAT I CAN ATTACH A HALCYON PIONEER 36 TO A DIVE RITE BACK PLATE...

If so I will buy Halcyon wings and all the rest from Dive Rite...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

yep, confirmed, since that's exactly what i've got!

Erik Il Rosso:
No STA needed, right ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso
The plate must have cam band slots in it to use the "built in" sta of the Pioneer. Older Diverite plates do not have the slots, but the newer ones do. So ask before you buy.

i have an older plate, so i have a sta, and i personally like it. then again, i don't have any experiences without it, so maybe i'd hate it if i had a chance to...

JeffG:
The plate must have cam band slots in it to use the "built in" sta of the Pioneer. Older Diverite plates do not have the slots, but the newer ones do. So ask before you buy.

You mean the 4 vertical holes at the back of the backplate, right ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Erik Il Rosso:
You mean the 4 vertical holes at the back of the backplate, right ???

Ciao Erik Il Rosso
Yes.

A Halcyon Pioneer wing will not, repeat, will not work on a Dive Rite plate without a STA. Even thou both have cam band slot, they are not the same distance apart. Been there, done that, had to get a STA (and now BabyDuck owns it all - well, she doesn't own my plate, that's why she said it will work....BUT IT WON'T!!).

Hope you read this before you buy....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom