Vyper vs Apex quantum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DomaNitrogen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

Well i am in a dead end, I know suunto is very good, But a lot of ppl recomands apeks.

What would u pick and y?

THanx

Actually, I have the same dead end.

The Suunto is very good indeed, nothing to complain about. But it is a 1 gas computer only.

The Apeks is also very good and easy to use, good readable and it is also 2 gas computer instead of a 1 gas computer like the Vyper. The Apeks is also a littlebit cheaper. However, on this forum, I saw there were some problems with it in the past, which should be solved now according to this forum.

So it's a quite tough choice and I think you have to go to a LDS and 'feel' both computers.

Maybe an Uwatec Air Z Nitrox could be an option? Bought one a couple of months ago, haven't made many dives with it yet, but I feel pretty good about it..
Large, clear display, also able to dive Nitrox, and it is 'wireless', the sender that goes on the first stage sends tank-info to the computer...

Well seems nice but 2 pricy :(

dexter98:
Actually, I have the same dead end.

The Suunto is very good indeed, nothing to complain about. But it is a 1 gas computer only.
Suunto vyper has 2 gasses

Air/Nitrox/Gauge modes
PC interface compatible
Extensive memory functions
Suunto RGBM model
Audible alarm
Electroluminescent display
Easy and reliable push-buttons
User-replaceable battery

DomaNitrogen:
Suunto vyper has 2 gasses

Air/Nitrox/Gauge modes
PC interface compatible
Extensive memory functions
Suunto RGBM model
Audible alarm
Electroluminescent display
Easy and reliable push-buttons
User-replaceable battery

True, you can choose any Nitrox mix from 21%-50% with the Vyper- *but* you cannot switch to any other gas mixture during the dive...

Moreover, if you use Nitrox frequently then the "air" setup is quite useless since you cannot switch from air to Nitrox during a diving series. Therefore, most Nitrox divers use "Nitrox" all the time and for air simply choose Nitrox 21% eyebrow

Suunto RGBM model implemented in Vypers is not true RGBM- you can search in this forum the posts from Bruce Wienke regarding this issue.

Audible alarms... Yuck. Should be outlawed and banned from the silent world :14:

:06: What are the "extensive memory functions"? I looked for them in my Vyper but couldn't find any extensive memory function. Have you ever used those "extensive functions", or you were just quoting from Suunto's brochure?

The Vyper is a good computer and it does the job, but as said above, the Apeks gives you the option of switching gas mixes underwater. Now you might not want to do that right now, but if you get into excellerated deco, etc, later on in your diving life, then you won't need to buy another computer if you get one that can handle it now.

Might be worth looking at Tusa's DC-Hunter IQ-700 – it is identical to the Apeks, but in the UK it is cheaper, and comes with a protective screen.

Mark

The Uwatec mentioned above is a nice computer, but it is air-integrated via a transmitter and is in a completely different price bracket, so can't really be compared directly with the Vyper and the Quantum.

Jai Bra,

Thanx i missunderstoud, its Clear, i respect apeks, and who knows in the future what type of diving might i do
Thanks i will do more research on them but i am quite leaning to apeks npw

And off course i thank all of u :D stupid me

MarkUK:
Might be worth looking at Tusa's DC-Hunter IQ-700 – it is identical to the Apeks, but in the UK it is cheaper, and comes with a protective screen.

Could you provide a link to the lowest price you know in the UK, please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom