OUT OF AIR - Last ditch effort breath from you BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveroflove

Reaction score
I heard somewhere that if you are out of air with no air anywhere, you could breath the air in your bcd while kicking hard to the surface. Is this common practice

diveroflove:
I heard somewhere that if you are out of air with no air anywhere, you could breath the air in your bcd while kicking hard to the surface. Is this common practice

I have never heard this taught anywhere, but don't see why you couldn't. Most bladders say don't breath air from the bladder, but I rinse mine out every time I dive so it is definitely clean and any residue from manufacture is definitely gone. I would also figure that that air is better than no air at all. Definitely one to think about.

Maybe what you heard about is breathing off the oral inflator if both regs fail (highly unlikely)? You can hold the inflator and deflator buttons and breathe off the oral inflate. But, that's pretty darn unlikely.

If you are actually OOA, I don't think the air in your BC is going to provide much relief. When properly weighted, you have almost no air in your BC at depth. In fact, you have just enough to compensate for the compression of your exposure protection. Not much.

My guess? If you're OOA with no buddy to share air with? You'll kick your *** to the surface without trying to breathe off your BC and get a quarter lungful of air.

That is unless you're as good as the divers in Into the Blue...those guys are good! If you can breathe off a lift bag and pass air mouth to mouth then you can definitely get 10 more minutes of bottom time out of a BC :wink:

In an emergancy situation there is no reason why not. Even if there is only 1 lung full (or should that be a pair of lungs full) you can always exhale back into your BC to give you bouancy and rebreath it again as your lungs will not take all the O2 out of the air. I think Id rather do this than ascent from 20m kicking as quick as I can. That sounds like a sure fire way to an embelizim of some kind.

Don't forget your lungs are under pressure and you can exhale all the way up and still have full lungs at the surface. If you are kicking hard to the surface, you're going to have a lot more things to worry about depending how deep you were.

Sounds like one of those theoretical ideas that could kill you in practice.(while you're messing about doing things you shouldn't be doing rather than what you should).

As noted above - much better to not get in the situation to begin with and to have a buddy close by if you do through an equipment malfunction. If you are solo then you should have other redundancy or you have no place being there. Also as noted above, I generally have little to no air in my wing - certainly nothing that I am going to plan to rely on.

That is exactly my point even if you have to recycle the air for 10 seconds atleast you will have a chance because some of use if we are 30 feet down cant exhale the whole way up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom