Dive Computer Remorse???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8ful divr

Reaction score
I am about to take my Open Water Cert class. I have been doing lots of research on equipment just because I am so excited to get diving and the research at least quinches that thirst a bit. I called the dive shop where I will be doing my certification to see if it was possible to use the gear my research led me to want to try out while doing my cert so that I could see if I liked it. I told him that I wanted to check out the Oceanic VT Pro Hoseless wrist computer. Apparently they only rent a few models at this store (mostly lower end stuff) so I wouldn't be able to try this model out with him. No big deal but then he said that I would most likely have serious buyer's remorse if I spent a bunch of money on a computer early on. Why would this be? It seems to me that any quality dive computer would last quite some time. I plan to do a lot of diving and would rather spend the money now to get a quality product that will last the next 5-8 years than constantly upgrading. I want a versatile computer that is very easy to read and use. Any idea why this or any quality computer might cause buyer's remorse?

Well, Gr8ful, for what it's worth . . .

I've been diving an Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus since about 1999.
Tomorrow I will pick up my new Oceanic VT Pro from Divers Supply in Doraville.

the Kraken

He may have meant to wait until you're certified and have been diving for a while (even if that's only for a few months) just in case you decide that you either don't like diving all that much (or can't go that often), or that perhaps you would have rather used the money on other items first (like a dry suit or something).

But . . .
Sort of going along with what Aphelion said, many divers choose to invest first in those quality pieces of gear that affect buoyancy and breathing first.

Proper control of your buoyancy is paramount in helping you become a good diver. To wit, those things that affect your buoyancy the most are your exposure protection and buoyancy compensation devices.

You must set your own priorities, but it sure doesn't hurt to inquire from the membership.

the Kraken

There are lots of reasons why you might experience buyers remorse.

First, as a new diver you will almost certainly not have a very good air consumption rate, often refered to as a SAC rate. You will consume the air in your tank much faster as a new diver. This will tend to limit the length of your dives more often than bottom time based on nitrogen loading.

One of the primary advantages of using a computer rather than tables is that the computer will calculate your nitrogen loading based on the actual dive you do. In most cases this will be a multi level dive. In short the computer will give you some credit for time spent shallower. When you dive tables, you need to calculate your dive based on the deepest depth you reach. When you use tables you are usually forced to base all of the calculations as if you spent the entire dive at that deepest point. This is called a square profile.

As you dive more, your SAC rate will improve. It may take a year, it may take a month, it all depends on many factors that are almost impossible to predict with a great degree of accuracy. You will however improve over time if you continue to dive, that is for certain.

If you buy a computer now and it takes a year for you to improve to the point where the computer actually allows you to make longer dives you will not get much benefit from your purchase in that first year. Let's say that a year from now a new computer is introduced that you like more than the one you would get now you will regret your too early purchase.

I think you have been given some really good advice by your dive shop.

My reccomendation is to wait until you have done a few dives where your time is limited by nitrogen loading based on tables before you purchase a computer.

When you do purchase a computer I would encourage you to get one that does calculate NITROX. You may not go that route now, but it would be an expensive mistake if you chose to later and needed to purchase another computer.

Mark Vlahos

It's unusual for a shop to not be happy to sell you something expensive! They may be looking out for your best interest which is not always the case. Buyers remorse can come simply from buying a computer before you even know if you like diving or will continue, people do quit for various reasons. Or trying to pick this (or any major gear) out before you have dove at all to have some idea what you want. For example some people like hoseless AI wrist computers, but many (myself included) think they're not worth the money and wouldn't use one without a backup pressure gage anyway, perhaps that's how this person feels as well. Getting the most expensive item with the most features is not always the best. By all means have fun and do research now, but don't rush into buying.

Some things it is good to try in the water if at all possible (like BCs) but for a computer I don't think it is important. It's something you can do a good job selecting just by doing your research. Anyway, you'll have plenty to think about during your OW classes without trying to evaluate a computer too.

I think computers are great, but except for a few special situations more important to buy other gear first.

Computers are AWESOME for the new diver! It really helps to download and reveiw each and every dive. Did you do a safety stop or only a pause??? How fast WAS that ascent? It also helps you to track your diving easily.

The Kraken:
But . . .
Sort of going along with what Aphelion said, many divers choose to invest first in those quality pieces of gear that affect buoyancy and breathing first.
the Kraken

However the equipment you use effects bouyance and it is good to dive the same configuration to learm bouyance control. So buying right away has its advantages. Plus you know where everything is. If you have a question about staying in diving wait to buy. If you know you are going to continue I would buy. :D

If you're talking about buying a basic wrist computer right away, I don't think you'll regret it. There are lots of reasons why diving with a computer, or at least a bottom timer, is a very good idea for a new diver. Maybe the best reason is the ascent rate indicator and alarm which will help to train you to avoid rapid ascents.

If you're talking about a hoseless air integrated computer for alot of money, that's a different story, and, yes, I think you might do better to save your money. Every really important thing about a computer exists in almost all of the widely available models and brands out there; the biggest differences are in display style, algorithm which determines nitrogen loading and off-gassing, and features which can really drive up the price. Although many people make a big deal out of the differences in algorithms, you'd probably do well to not get too involved in that at this point as there is not much hard evidence that one is "better" or "safer" than another, and PLENTY of opinions!

Really what you need at this point is a reliable, easy to read display with depth, bottom time, ascent rate, and NDL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom