Best Pressure Guage Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jc2

Contributor
Reaction score
I decided not to spend the extra money on a hoseless air-integrated computer and just start out with a good wrist computer (Atmos 2 probably) and if I start diving more often I'll buy a hoseless later. I'm tryin to keep my setup as simple and streamlined as possible. I typically don't wear a compass if I know I won't need it for navigation. I know this is probably the most basic gauge but I'm wondering if anyone has a specific recommendation on Pressure Gauages. Specifically - should I just get a single pressure gauge? a compact/mini pressure gauge? (I have good eyesight), or just get a standard three guage console (PG, Depth, and a boot on the back to pop an SK7 compass in?). I'll be diving with a Hog Harness. Recommendation on hose length and placement would be appreciated. I'm really trying to minimize the danglies, keep my setup simple and streamlined (as I mentioned before) and put things in one place (I guess I should have the Atmos 2 in a console if I stuck to that philosophy but everyone overwhelming seems to recommend wrist mount for the computer and just remember to check pressure separately.)

Thanks

Check out Tech Diving Limited. I would reccommend a 2 or 2.5 inch pressure guage on either a 30 or 32 inch hose. Put a simple bolt snap near the guage and clip it to your left hip D ring. Don't bother with a hose boot.

Mark Vlahos

24 to 26 inch hose with a bolt snap clipped off to your lt d-ring. 2 to 2.5 is a good size and you will not ever need to get a hoseless gauge later. Compass on Lt wrist , when needed , i always dive with one, and your computer or bottem timer on your rt wrist. this is the last config you will ever need to know about.

Or both.

You can have my AI when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Nothing beats having pressure on the dashboard.

---
Ken

I use a Scubapro mini pressure gauge and love it. It is a fraction of the size of a full console and is small enough for me to just stick in my BC cumberbund while diving. Several companies sell similar mini gauges so there are plenty of brands of these to choose from.

As to the AI setup, these are cool and consolidate alot of information in one place; however, after having experienced computer failure while diving, I am personally leary of relying solely on an electronic pressure reading. Given my person experience with as well as having friends report experiencing inaccurate air readings on their AIs, I would choose to carry an SPG even if I went a wrist mounted AI.

It depends, when I am warm water diving, I use a very small pressure single gauge, and rely on my Mares M1 wrist mount commuter as my depth gauge. If I have a dry suit I have a big three gauge console, since I already have a ton of stuff to lug why not have back up data!

The wrist computer is nice, but if yours is a big lug like my M1 you will snag it getting your BC on and off the first few times, till you remember to take care around it. Wrist mount is streamlined but the down side is I have seen people forget them on the boat! So extra care must be taken. The compass is not so important on the “Trail Ride” kind of dive where you follow in a pack. I have a compass on a retractor that I clip on if I think I will need it.

Before you run out and get a wireless rig, I would urge you to watch your fellow diver with wireless computers. I find that if we dive for a few days together one out of three of them have reception or battery problems. To me remaining air in tank data is just too important to trust to anything but a simple mechanical gauge. :lightingz I am a very high tech guy, but I have definite limit to my trust in computers and electronics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom