Vytec vs Vyper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CPDiver

Registered
Reaction score
I like the SUUNTO wrist mounted DCs and am looking at the Vytec(w/out hoseless integtation) and Vyper. I am a recreational diver who is "thinking" (10-20% chance ) about getting training beyond my current AOW so I can spend more time on the 130 foot + deep wrecks and sites.

The Vytek seems to be the choice if I get into the lighter side of decompression diving. Whereas the vyper would cover all the bases for my current style of diving.

I am leaning towards the Vytek because it can "grow" with me. But the $170 premium is a serious disincentive since I am in the midst of buying a whole new set of gear and seem to be upgrading at every turn. (It is an ilness, I am convinced) I am not interested in the hoseless transmitter at this time so that plus of the Vytek is not a primary issue.

Does my logic for leaning towards the Vytek make sense? Or is the Vyper just as useful if I take thr next step towards a bit more technical diving?

Thanks for your experienced opinions.

The Vytec and the newer Vytec DS will show the dive time in seconds when in gauge mode - this is a nice feature to have if you are thinking about technical diving. The Vytec/Vytec DS also has "gas switching" capability which, imho, is not strictly necessary.

Vie is right. In gauge mode, the Vytec not only tracks the overall dive time in minutes, but the counter in the middle section does minutes and seconds and can be reset in mid-dive for timing stops. Very nice. But its a lot of money for a bottom timer.

A better question is how many tech divers still use their dive computers as computers vs. bottom timers. I had the same line of thinking, but I'm already moving away from using my Vytec as a computer, by the time I get to gas switches, etc. it'll be gauge mode only.

If I were doing my equipment purchases over again (how many times have I typed that...), I'd get the Uwatec Aladin Tec wrist because it has similar features to the Vytec except the optional air integration that I don't use anyway, it has a 4 second sampling rate, it has a (quirky) avg depth feature in gauge mode, its cheaper (more along the cost of the Vyper) and downloading profiles doesn't require the special cable. Of course, to be fair, when I bought my Vytec the Aladin Tec wasn't out yet. :)

The vytec rocks. They're on eBay all the time. You'll save your $170 for sure.

Ken

I have a Vyper and I love it. I suspect it would serve you just fine, for a number of reasons. If you want to get into the "lighter side of decompression diving" it will do it. When you break the no deco limits it does not go into an error mode, it is programmed to calculate your minimum necessary ascent time and deco depth ranges/times. I've used it to 150 feet on air and intentionally gone into deco diving a number of times, it works fine. Also, it has a nitrox mode (22-50%) but you cannot switch mixes mid-dive. That would really be your main advantage in getting the Vytec, if you're not intending to go wireless, but my recommendation is by the time you get to that level of tech diving you're going to want to get a real multi-gas computer anyway. Furthermore, the vyper can be set to gauge mode (i.e. it becomes simply a digital bottom timer, with depth, time, rate of ascent, temp, etc). The computer is rated to 330 feet, so in gauge mode you CAN use it for trimix and other tech gas mixes, but you'll also need the right tables and that computer between your ears. All suunto computers use the RGBM gas model which is a little more conservative than haldane models and better in my opinion. Also, whichever you choose, I recommend you check out divetank.net they are one of the biggest suunto distributors and I'm willing to bet you'll get a better price from them than anywhere else.

StSomewhere:
A better question is how many tech divers still use their dive computers as computers vs. bottom timers. I had the same line of thinking, but I'm already moving away from using my Vytec as a computer, by the time I get to gas switches, etc. it'll be gauge mode only.

I find that I use my Vytec more often in computer mode than in gauge mode. That's mostly because I do more Nitrox diving within recreational limits than I do trimix diving that is outside those limits. It's easy to switch between Nitrox and Gauge mode (although once in gauge mode, you have to wait 48 hours or so to change it back), and I find it convenient to be able to use the same instrument (and Sunnto's Dive Manager to record the dives) for all of my dives.

I agree with the statement above that it is an expensive bottom timer, but find that I do use it more as a computer than a timer. Even when diving light helium mixes in the 100 - 140' range, I often dive using a VPlanner generated table, but leave the Vytec in computer mode and do the gas switches. It always clears deco about the same time as my VPM-B generated schedule, so is a nice backup.

YMMV

While the Vytec does use a RBG model, it is very, very, very conseritive. Especally for technical deco dives. It almost doesn't let you out of the water!!!! So you may end up using it as nothing more then a very expensive bottom timer.

Most tech divers cut deco tables & run times on desk-top software, and only use a muti-gas computer as a "back-up." If your going to do this, a better multi-gas computer would be the VR3 or NiTek HE.

Another advantage of the Vytec over the Vyper (I had a vyper until I upgraded to the D9) is that the new model incorporates "Deep Stops" to the traditional RGBM algo.

Cheers.

J.B.

I have the Vytec and have no issues. A frequent buddy dives with a Vyper and the displays match up almost every time, never been more than 2 minutes difference on NDL's in about 20 dives. He never does deco, I have intentionally incurred a stop on a couple of dives (with other buddies) and I sling a 36% (usually).
As far as I can tell the big deltas between the two are:
1. The Vytec supports 20-99% EAN
2. The Vytec (mine anyway) supports three gas mixes, switchable in water

If you expect advanced Nitrox in your future or carry more than one gas then the Vytec is the minimum that you can get away with (of the 2 computers mentioned).

If you know that you are going to get into Tech diving, then you should get a better computer (VR3 or NiTek He) in addition to the laptop/planner software. After you attend a credible Tech course, of course!

johnny_bravo:
Another advantage of the Vytec over the Vyper (I had a vyper until I upgraded to the D9) is that the new model incorporates "Deep Stops" to the traditional RGBM algo.

Cheers.

J.B.

You're right that the vyper operates on continuous deco ranges, with progressively rising ceilings, rather than designating deep stops. But there's no reason you can't plan for and incorporate deep stops anyway. I usually hang for five minutes at sixty feet for example, even if it's showing me a much higher ceiling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom