Air Integrated or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTim

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first dive computer. What are the pro's and con's of air integrated computers? I would like a wrist computer. Any thoughts on the Cressi-Sub Archimede 2?

If you'd like a wrist computer there are 2 main disadvantages to an air integrated computer. One is the cost. The other is an arguement often made is that the reliablity of these hoseless computers for measuring air pressure is less than that of traditional SPGs or hosed computers. I have not heard of any hard proof that their is any kind of safety issue with these computers, but it does make sense that their is a potential for problem.
I am not familar with the specific computer you mentioned.

I have gone in a pool and breathed Oceanic models down to 0 psi to check for accuracy. I found no real variance in the accuracy of the wrist computers air pressure. ( started to get difficult to breath when air pressure went under 100 psi) After having a hose failure at 80' and loosing air rapidly I would never go back to analog gauges. It was nice to see an accurate idea of my air pressure and kept me from going into panic mode.

I have the Atmos Elite and I really love being able to look at my wrist and see all the information I need. I have never had any problems with signal interruptions (you will here a lot of that from the wireless critics), I do not dive with a back-up SPG. If your computer fails, you simply abort your dive. If you are looking at your air consumption enough you will have a good idea of how much air you have and can get back to the boat/shore safely.

Oceanic is running some specials on the VT Pro right now. I think you can get one for around $600 bucks give or take. IMHO a very good computer for rec diving. I am currently using a Uwatec Smart Tec and love it. It will set you back over $1000. Several of my buddies like the VT Pro better due to it displaying the date and time. I like the download features of the Uwatec. I would prefer to stick with Suunto, Uwatec, or Oceanic computers. Shop around on the manufacturer's websites. Figure out what features you need and what computers are in your price range.

Good Luck

Gillty

My computer is air-integrated (Suunto cobra). My father-in-law has an Oceanic wrist computer with the transmitter thingy that attaches to the first stage/pressure hose. He likes his...I like mine...I don't like his. It's an older one and is quite bulky. I don't like a bunch of stuff on my wrists, arms, or legs. All of my accessories (with the exception of my camera housing) is somehow attached to my BC and I prefer it that way. His wrist computer doesn't allow him free range of motion of his left wrist, which is okay with him...I would not like it. Plus, I like that my reminder beeps/alarms can be heard. Maybe he has his turned off, but I have never heard his beep at all. Plus, he often has to change his batteries: 3 battery changes per my 1. That all said, it is important to decide what works best for you. Everybody is different. Definately try the wrist one on and see if you can deal with it. Be sure to check all the features. For me, it is important to be sure all of my gear is practical and user-friendly. Sometimes gadgets intimidate me. The newer ones are smaller, like watches. My father-in-law's is practically like having a brick strapped to your wrist!:D

I just don't see them as being worth the $$$ for the initial cost and then the inevitable periodic new models that will also tempt you. I retired my first omputer which was AI and went back to a std SPG (never a need to upgrade) and a much more affordable std wrist computer.

But if you just have to have the additional info they can provide, go for it. I'm fully satisfied with minimal info as long as I know the basics: depth; time; and gas, NDL and O2 status.

ScubaTim:
I guess this question does not draw much interest...

IMO it comes down to 3 things..

How much money you want to burn.
How much you trust underwater electronics.
How much you trust the computer between your ears for gas management.

We went non AI based on all of the eabove.

Pete

would it work without the air part? as in, if you decided to go the spg route in the future, would the rest of the computer still function? because if you went to doubles, for instance, you may not want the air integration.

just a 'what if' thought. i don't know the answer - trying to think of questions.

i wouldn't go the air integration route, but it may be best for you! keep thinking & let us know what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom