2 questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

laserdoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What is meant when a reg says that it breaths dry.And I have two Sherwood Oasis's. One about 9 years old and the other about 15 I think. Are they both ready for Nitrox??

to breathe dry means that no water gets into your mouth during the dive

some regs may allow water in your mouth in odd positions (inverted, for example)
and are said to breathe wet.

those regs should be ok ... i believe they were making regs good up to 40% Nitrox
back then ... but ... not sure, sorry

Here is a follow on question. Is anybody aware of any Nitrox fires in scuba regs excepting extraordinary circumstances (like reg full of mud). Just my opinion, but I think the industry is being exceedingly conservative with Nitrox (02 < 36%). Once you start to get past 40% I can see the rising concern. I PERSONALLY would have no problem putting Nitrox through an older reg as long as it is well cared for. I think now all manufacturers are using oxygen compatible parts for the rebuild kits anyway. My personal answer to Laserdoc's question would be they are fine as long as they have been recently serviced.

another ??? If my regs are good for nitrox. If I use a standard air cyl. on one trip and then dive nitrox on a nother trip,,,do I need to get my reg cleaned or serviced before I go nitrox since I dove air on the last trip.

nope, up to 40%

but if you are going to use a rich O2 mix, you should have a dedicated
O2 reg for that, and should have it O2 cleaned (just like the tank)

laserdoc:
What is meant when a reg says that it breaths dry.And I have two Sherwood Oasis's. One about 9 years old and the other about 15 I think. Are they both ready for Nitrox??

Breathing dry means not getting a free drink every time you duck your head or peer into and open deck hatch. If you want to experience "wet" firsthand, I have an old metal Conshelf second that can demonstrate the concept perfectly. It's kind of like driving a classic auto, though. It is not as quick, and handles like a boat, but all that chrome looks marvelous!

I second dbush 's opinion on nitrox and older regs. As long as it is in good working order and not made out of plastic explosives there is no real reason for concern when diving with a 40% o2 mixture. Oxygen does burn, but is not a real hazard (in my opinion as a chemical engineer) until it reaches a richer mixture >50%

probably you shouldn't smoke while diving with 100% O2 either, its just not healthy to light up while decoing at 10ft anyway....

Back
Top Bottom