SAFE SECONDS `to buy or not to buy`

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOG-SPLITTER

Contributor
Reaction score
Want to know what everybody thinks of these. I have the T2 and need to purchase a octopus. My lds is really trying to persuade me into buying the Atomic SS1 .

Can anybody recommend these things or should I stay away?

http://www.atomicaquatics.com

I have no experience with the SSI, but I know it is BC mounted and if that's what your looking for I'm sure its a good rig (Re: Rodale's Review: http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/better_alternatives/ ).

IMHO I like the std type seconds 1) because I like to travel and all I take is my Rig, fins and mask then wet suit (in that order). 2) the other reason is I like wreck diving and as crazy as I may sound, should something go wrong with my buddy (my girlfriend) I like the extra hose length to possibly reach her if she got stuck (I could remove my BC and get the combined hose length of both my second stages) (and yes that may sound silly).
So I would get the M1 or Ti2 of Z1 octos.

Yeah, there are a LOT of threads that have discussed this ad nauseum; in fact, if you read them all, your decision would be moot because you wouldn't have any time to dive anymore.

...People on this forum dive?! I thought they sat around talking about diving but never getting around to it. :wink:

Safe Second/Air 2/Etc are like those little "donut" spare tires:

The small, compact design, size, reduced clutter, etc seem like a great idea UNTIL you actually have to use them for their intended purpose in a real-world situation, then you will wish you had a real spare!

IMHO I would stay with the traditional safe second. I had an Air 2, but a few trips ago I had to share air with an out of air diver that had removed her BC at 60'. Don't ask why, it's a long story that makes no sense! It was almost impossible to maintain control over our ascent while using the AIR 2; the short hose length, etc. Returned from the trip and immediately purchased a traditional safe second.

"Safe seconds" (air 2, air link, etc.) are certainly adequate for open water recreational diving and they are very good for self rescue of a solo diver. The safe second will create a simple, streamlined rig. Safe second would not be considered adequate for wreck diving or cave diving.

"Safe Second" is more than adequate for recreational diving. All those difficult ascent or short hoses problems are training problems, nothing to do with the fact you are using "safe second".

Read the threads mentioned and decide for yourself.

Of the various makes of "safe second", however, the Atomic SS1 is considered to be the best by a long shot.

I prefer a traditional octo, myself. Cheaper, too. :)

Back
Top Bottom