New Guy question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elven_Diver

Reaction score
Im new to Scuba diving and i am looking at buying a reg, my first. I have been eyeing the Sea air trimetal by Xs. My local dealer(itrust him as not biased) said that that wouldbe the best to buy. I need some honest to goodness help with this decision. i have heard some good things about this but it was mostly biased and al they told was what to buy, not why i shouldnt buy this please help me.
Thanks a lot

Do you have any information for us to help you, like what type of diving will you be doing? Cold water? Warm water? Nitrox? What features do you want/need?

Britt :fish:
:fish:

Hey,
Sorry about that. Im just breaking into the scuba diving thing but i am planning on getting into it pretty serious so warm water for sure, in time i may try to log some cold water, i am planning on geting Nitrox certified and i am looking for a good regulator that breathes well and wont let me down

Do you mean objectively "the best"? There are many threads on regulators here, but that regulator hasn't been mentioned as anyone's top choice. Top choices here usually are Atomtic, Apeks, Scubapro, Zeagle, maybe Aqualung. Most regulators are perfectly fine for warm water recreational diving.

Elven_Diver:
Im new to Scuba diving and i am looking at buying a reg, my first. I have been eyeing the Sea air trimetal by Xs. My local dealer(itrust him as not biased) said that that wouldbe the best to buy. I need some honest to goodness help with this decision. i have heard some good things about this but it was mostly biased and al they told was what to buy, not why i shouldnt buy this please help me.
Thanks a lot

I have two that I have dove hard the past year. Lots of trips to saltwater, Cozumel, to 100 plus depths with no problem. Also had them down in 54 degree water in beautiful Lake DeGray doing training dives with students and no problems. My only addition was a 7 foot hose. Something that you may not need.

I'm not familiar with the regs you're looking at. However, I dive with the Zeagle DSV with ZX second stage and ZX octo. I 130 dives on mine, mostly in water that is in the 40's and down to 130ft in both fresh and salt water.

Definatley a dry and smooth breather. I like it so much I have 3 of them.

The biggest knock to XScuba is it is a relatively new company. If you hvae a problem with the reg while traveling it might be hard to get a part, or if you move from your current city, it might be hard to find a dealer for your anual service.

Also there is the potential with a new company they might not be around for the long haul. I have a couple of products from Xscuba (nothing lifesupport) and have been happy with my purchases.

TheRedHead:
Do you mean objectively "the best"? There are many threads on regulators here, but that regulator hasn't been mentioned as anyone's top choice. Top choices here usually are Atomtic, Apeks, Scubapro, Zeagle, maybe Aqualung. Most regulators are perfectly fine for warm water recreational diving.

Maybe Aqualung? You must be reading different reviews than I do. What I read, Aqualung is always at or near the top with the other brands you mentioned.

Elven Diver,
Do not buy off of the recommendation of me or anyone else. We all have our own biases and our gear selection is based on those biases and what we deem important to our own wants/needs.

At best, take our recommendations as a point to start selecting brands/models you want to try. Then based on YOUR experiences, wants, needs you can make a decision that will work for you.

You said you're new to scuba and not even sure of what types of diving you may want to get into in the future. Based on those facts alone, I would recommend you not buy gear until you have more experience and understanding on what features, capabilities, service requirements, availability of parts, etc.

Do you anticipate deep diving beyond recreational limits, cave diving, wreck diving with penetration, ice diving? These are specialties that will put specific demands on your reg that will eliminate a number of models right off the bat. How about Nitrox? Most regs are now capable of 40% O2 out of the box, but not all.

Even when I was part owner of a dive shop, I would recommend that new divers try at least three manufacturers and several models within each before they buy.

One of the worst things you could do is rush out and buy a new reg, then 6 months from now find out it won't meet your needs/wants for getting into tech diving if you decide to go there.

I personally like and own multiple Aqualung regs, Legend LX and Titan models. I've tried regs from Sherwood (used to own an Oasis), ScubaPro, Oceanic, Zeagle, Atomic, Mares. For my preferences, Aqualung is my choice. However, if you and I are doing the exact same dives, you may choose something else. Or where I prefer the Legend LX, you may prefer the Titan.

It is excellent that you have come here to seek information and recommendations. But remember, your choices have to make YOU safe, confident and happy; not us, not some shop owner/authorized dealer.

Take what we say with a grain of salt that stands for our individual biases. Use it as a starting point for research. Take your time and you will be much more confident with your decision and avoid buyers remorse. You'll probably save money too.

jbichsel:
Maybe Aqualung? You must be reading different reviews than I do. What I read, Aqualung is always at or near the top with the other brands you mentioned.

Depends on if the reccommendations are for tech or rec. Aqualung is not mentioned often on tech threads even though the Legend LX is a top notch regulator.

If anyone cares, I dive an Apeks ATX 200 and a Zeagle Flathead VI, both DIN. I also plan to buy a Dive Rite with DIN swivel for my deco bottle regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom