Inferior Regulator Service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver_pirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In prep for a trip I found a reg that was free flowing in a pool dive. It was an Oceanic Delta 3 with octo. I am mechanically inclined and have serviced my regs in the past although not this one. Since this was my son’s reg and he was lending it to a buddy I wanted it to be handled by a professional. I took it in to the LDS two months prior our Florida dive trip. After a month I inquired as to the status. It wasn’t ready. They asked when I absolutely needed it. They then had it for 2 more weeks and just before my trip I picked it up.

On the first drift dive in West Palm Beach Florida the reg was still free flowing. I had the LDS in Florida check it out that night. He detuned the second stage and the octo began free flowing. He checked the IP and found it was at 180 psi. He tried adjusting it to the normal operating range of 125-135 psi but it kept creeping up. The reg was taken out of service and dropped off the next day to the shop in the Keys (next leg of our trip). They replaced the high pressure seat in four hours. Everything worked fine.

I went back to my LDS in Maryland and asked them to reimburse me the labor $28 to have the HP seat replaced. They said they did not replace that part and could not stand behind it.

I was astonished to be told that the $64 that I paid to have a first, second, octo and battery service to the computer only includes replacing o-rings, battery and cleaning as the normal part of service. I was told by the owner that I could not afford to have the soft parts replaced as it was to expensive. This was an obvious lie as I buy and carry spare kits when I travel to remote locations. The tech and the owner only replace parts that cause it to fail their bench test. The fact that a deep irregular oval grove in the seat was dismissed as “they all have that”. Further I was told that I probably turned on my tank to fast causing the high pressure seat to leak.

The owner then took me into his service area and said he had a $4000 air bench and told me his tech never had a problem in 14 years. I was not impressed.

If my car tires get down to 1/16” of an inch I buy new tires. I guess, According to the LDS’s way of thinking I should not replace the tires until after a blowout, or the HP seat until after it fails, possibly while I’m in a wreck at 100 ft.

I looked up on the Oceanic web site and found the regulator service consisted of replacing replaceable parts and cleaning and inspection of non-replaceable parts (sounds like a lawyer wrote it rather than a tech). Needless to say replaceable parts to me includes the soft seats of all the valves, filters as well as o-rings.

My sense is to avoid this dive shop. This seems to me to be a pretty bad policy for a LDS. Is this what the manufacturers recommend? I am assuming something is in error? LDS professional? Proficient? Soft parts only if they fail? Is this typical? Are my expectations to high?

The hp seat should have been replaced by the MD shop. You were owed a reinbusement for labor. This kind of malfunction is fairly easy to spot. Attach the reg to the tank and turn on air. If the regulator leaks immediately, check the lp seat. If the regulator leaks after a short delay, check the hp seat. Replace O rings at the same time. Not rocket science. The shop guy is skilled at double talk.

I replied to your identical post in the Oceanic section.

Please PM me.

diver-pirate,

I lived in Maryland for about four years and just moved recently. Do you mind saying which shop it was?

-Nick

diver_pirate:
I went back to my LDS in Maryland and asked them to reimburse me the labor $28 to have the HP seat replaced. They said they did not replace that part and could not stand behind it.

I was astonished to be told that the $64 that I paid to have a first, second, octo and battery service to the computer only includes replacing o-rings, battery and cleaning as the normal part of service. I was told by the owner that I could not afford to have the soft parts replaced as it was to expensive. This was an obvious lie as I buy and carry spare kits when I travel to remote locations. The tech and the owner only replace parts that cause it to fail their bench test. The fact that a deep irregular oval grove in the seat was dismissed as “they all have that”. Further I was told that I probably turned on my tank to fast causing the high pressure seat to leak.

I am sure that "cerich" will take care of you though. If the owner said so, you have to post the LDS name. Otherwise, you won't be only one who will have a potential problem.

This dealer was a 5 star facility and had trained 15 of the youth in my crew several years ago. I went to him as we had a good relationship. I feel my trust has been violated and my youth put at risk when I was practicing due diligence. That scared the hell out of me.

Beware:
The dealer is:
Sea Colony Aqua Sports
836 Ritchie Hiway
Severna Park, MD 21146

Thanks
Diver_Pirate

diver_pirate:
This dealer was a 5 star facility and had trained 15 of the youth in my crew several years ago. I went to him as we had a good relationship. I feel my trust has been violated and my youth put at risk when I was practicing due diligence. That scared the hell out of me.

Beware:
The dealer is:
Sea Colony Aqua Sports
836 Ritchie Hiway
Severna Park, MD 21146

Thanks
Diver_Pirate

Hi Diver Pirate,

I am pleased to report that Sea Colony is NOT an Oceanic dealer. Unfortunately they choose to accept the regulator which they were not qualified (which occurs by being an Oceanic dealer) nor authorized (ditto) to service. It is obvious they choose to change out o rings using generic o rings that "matched" and did not change the seats because they did not have access to them.

I have spoken with Dave Ente, the Oceanic Sales Manager in Maryland (who lives a couple miles from this shop), he has informed me that Scuba Hut would be the closest Oceanic dealer and that he has very high confidence in their service department. (Dave used to run the repair/warranty/service department for one of our competitors prior to coming with Oceanic/Aeris, he is an excellent tech himself)

Regardless, our offer stands.

If I may be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me or any of the Oceanic team.

Best regards,

Chris

diver_pirate,

Good to know which shop screwed up here. Also, Chris mentions that ScubaHut is the closest Oceanic dealer to you. I'd recommend them, I frequented them when I was in Maryland and always had positive experiences.

-Nick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom