What regulator to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was first certified in 1979, and if I remember correctly, the reg we had for class was a U.S. Diver Aquarius. I have owned over the years a G250 and 200 Oct by Scubapro, and Nemrod Oct. Also owned a Seac Sub 1000 then and a Tekna 2100BX and Oct which I did not dive with, and most recently a Tekna 2100B and R190 for Oct. I have used Genesis, Sherwood and maybe some others but now am in the market for something new.

The ones I have owned were either non balanced or balanced piston first stages and was wondering how the new diaphragm first stages worked.

I will probably be diving on air at deepest 100' in fresh water with alot of sediment in it. I have been told in the past that they may foul some regs up. Any recommendations for brand and model would be great.

Thanks,

James

Do you have a budget?

I use a Zeagle Flathead VI and i like it. Its balanced, and environmentally sealed so i guess that would pretty much solve your problems with your diving environment being fresh/cold/sandy.

But i guess whats also important is to be sure that you can get your gear fixed and maintained in the convenience of your locality.

What can you get serviced locally?

uglyredshoes:
Do you have a budget?

I use a Zeagle Flathead VI and i like it. Its balanced, and environmentally sealed so i guess that would pretty much solve your problems with your diving environment being fresh/cold/sandy.

But i guess whats also important is to be sure that you can get your gear fixed and maintained in the convenience of your locality.

Hi,

I have heard of Zeagle but never used one before. The closet dealer to me though is over 80 miles away, http://smokymtndivers.com but I guess I could always ship out if a problem occurs. I was kinda wanting to try a diaphragm first stage since I have never owned one. I think the Aqualung Titan and Mares had diaphragm firsts so might be considering something along those lines. I have read very good remarks though about Zeagles.

James

spectrum:
What can you get serviced locally?

I believe the stores nearest me will service Atomic, Genesis, Oceanic, Sherwood, Aqualung/US Divers, Dacor, Mares, Scubapro, Seaquest, Suunto and Tusa.

James

DiveRite RG 2500 with the environmental seal kit. My instructor has had his down below 300ft. with no problems whatsoever. Very easy breather.

I prefer Apeks. They are environmentally sealed, easy to breathe; and very rugged. One big plus is that no matter where you're travelling with it the chances are that you will find someone to fix it if necessary.

Jscubadive:
I believe the stores nearest me will service Atomic...

Problem solved :)

Seriously, those all sound good. I just went from Oceanic to Atomic and I'm enjoying it, but I really like Oceanic regs as well. I kinda miss my Delta 3 and that Delta 4 looks to be an awesome reg. I recommended the GT3 to my GF and she loves it. The GT3 is a steal of a deal and a real sleeper of a reg (its a Delta 3 for less).

James,

Scubapro makes the MK17 diaphram 1st stage...which is enviromentally sealed. Along with the S555 or G250 or even S600 you would have one of the best regulators around.

Back
Top Bottom