Tried BP/wings and ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PnL

Reaction score
BACKGROUND: Newly certified diver that dislikes jacket style BC's and looking for a back-inflate BC.

Took a Halcyon Pioneer 36# w/ SS BP out today and either I've learned better buoyancy control or the BP/wing setup really does work well. It seems to be a mix of the two as I do feel much more comfortable underwater, but this BP/wings setup is pretty good. I suspect I would have fared just as well with another back-inflate BC, but I like the backplate for the extra weight it offers as well as the stability of the tank - which was definitely NOT the case with the jacket-style BC when it was completely deflated. As far as trim - I barely had to adjust the air in the MC and adjusted my buoyancy with my lungs mostly - I stayed neutral throughout the dives and felt completely stable without moving/adjusting weights other than what I already had. My buddy commented on how streamlined I was and was pretty impressed (has Dacor Rig II). I also dropped 10 lbs in weight - I'm not sure if that's a result of being more comfortable in the water (much more relaxed) or the BP/wings versus the crappy rental jacket-style BC, but I like having only 14 lbs on my belt and 6 lbs on the BP. I plan on a heavy BP/STA to remove even more weight of my belt (unless there is a reason not to do so??).

It seems that all the talk here about DIR and BP/wings has made a huge impact (+/-) on the forum members, which I took with a grain of salt, but a lot of the philosophies of DIR and the simple effectiveness of the BP/wings seems founded on solid foundations (IMHO). I really like the octo-necklace idea - its a much simpler and better solution than searching for the octo. My buddy surprised me with an OOA drill and I had my octo in a "scum pocket" (or something like that - he gave it to me before the dive) and pulling the octo out removed the mouthpiece! (DOH!). I was handing him my primary when he signalled it was just a drill and he was okay - but it really opened my eyes to the simple effectiveness of handing the primary and using the octo (backup) on a necklace - its just a great idea IMO.

Anyway, there's tons of posts regarding BP/wings here already so this is nothing new except that I don't really post much here - I just wanted to tell those considering BP/wings to give it a try, its the only way you'll find out if its for you or not. I found it to be a simple solution that works great for me and I love not feeling like I've got everything and the kitchen sink hanging off me :wink:

Many thanks to all the folks that have contributed to this site, its a great source of information and it is all the more useful information due to the arguments/discussions (including the flame wars :)) I also wanted to thank SPEEDSTER for offering to let me use his rig and meet me to setup it up properly and helping via PM with silly questions.

:) :) :)

Seriously, my trim and balance underwater have VASTLY improved since I took the plunge and went to the BP+Wing. Its like night and day, and I can't imagine going back to a "traditional" BC.

After clipping off stages, lights, reels, scooters... you might as well clip off the kitchen sink too! :)

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the rig. Good luck!
Ken

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed diving the new setup.

I truly think that if more people actually tried it instead of just bashing it sight unseen, you'd see a LOT more people diving this rig. It's great and makes a lot of sense.

Enjoy!

I was one of those that didn’t like the sound of a BP and Wing. After reading this thread for a lot longer than I have been posting I have heard most of the arguments for and against BP and wings. Being new to diving, I thought it was interesting to see all the emotions flying around about the BP and Wing setup.

The LDS that I was training with only had one BP and wing setup which was a Dive Rite but they more less talk me out of it. After my first pool session with there Jacket style BC which I thought was bulky up front, I decide to buy a Back inflate BC (Amer-Sea) I like the way it feels compared to the Jacket style.

Recently I went diving at a quarry and noticed a lot of BP and Wings. I started to talk to one of the guys that had a BP and Wing and look at his setup, I like it a lot. Looked very net and orderly and open up front. I didn’t think I would like a 7ft hose and the back up around your neck but it look very nice and simple and actually seeing it setup helped me understand why they have it around there neck, if you need it, it’s right there. So I guess my next step is to find someone to help set up a BP and wings. There is no one in Kansas City area that stocks Halcyon and for that matter isn’t even close to being a technically minded store. So the search is on.

ScubaDan once bubbled...
There is no one in Kansas City area that stocks Halcyon and for that matter isn’t even close to being a technically minded store. So the search is on.

There is one in Wichita though..........

Pro Ski & Scuba
8029 Peach Tree
Wichita, KS 67207
proscuba@feist.com

Hope this helps

I too suffered the LDS shuffle when I went to the Halcyon dealer near me. They had almost zero Halcyon inventory, claiming they couldn't keep it on the shelf, and when I asked specific (and apparently unanswerable) questions about BP/wings they led me over to a rack of BCDs and tried to wow me with the bells and whistles. Luckily, ScubaBoard and some very helpful local guys (thanks, O-Ring and Divernva!) saved me. Chalk me up as "assimilated and not going back".

Extreme Exposure is a Halcyon dealer with a 30-day money back guarantee: return it used and your money refunded.

http://www.extreme-exposure.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom