Olympus SP-350 or Canon A640

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rapida

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I was hoping you wise people could help me make a decision on a camera. I think I've narrowed it down to two cameras. Either a Canon A640 or a Olympus SP-350. I was just wondering which do you think would be the better camera for a newb?
I am in college at the moment so whichever I get I will be hanging on to for a while. I'm gonna take a photo studio class next semester in hopes of learning a little more about them, but whatever camera I get I would like to use it on scuba dives also. So any suggestions on an underwater housing?

Thanks and if I need to clarify anything please just ask. I have the bad habit of speaking my mind (a very crazy place) and sometimes I think stuff but forget to type it. :D

I'd say the Olympus will give you more to grow into as it has the hotshoe and can shoot raw. But then I'm not even a newb yet since I haven't bought my camera yet.

This is one of those cases that I'd have to say - flip a coin. Either will serve you well.

The Oly has RAW and this is a fabulous tool and might sway me just a bit.

On the other hand, I adore the Canon A series cameras and the only thing they really lack is RAW.

No help here - maybe check out the links to the 350 (there aren't any to the 640 yet - hint hint all you users out there) via the Pink Link in my signature, if you haven't already, and look at the images and discussions on it?

Whichever you choose, you'll have a great time and both will let you learn a great deal.

I think I'm leaning towards the sp-350 at the moment. The raw for the price is turning me more towards it at the moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom