Used drysuits - good buy or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawgDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Okay so I'm a poor college student. I'd love to be able to dive year-round, but the 5/4mm suit I have doesn't cut it, and I can't afford a new drysuit. So what is the general opinion on buying used drysuits?

I found this deal online (actually someone linked it here on SB) and it looks good to me, but I don't know anything about drysuits, so... y'all tell me. https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=776

DawgDiver:
Okay so I'm a poor college student. I'd love to be able to dive year-round, but the 5/4mm suit I have doesn't cut it, and I can't afford a new drysuit. So what is the general opinion on buying used drysuits?

I found this deal online (actually someone linked it here on SB) and it looks good to me, but I don't know anything about drysuits, so... y'all tell me. https://www.divetank.com/gear/product.php?id=776

How about just buying a new, 2 piece 7mm wetsuit? I dive year round up here in OH in that.

Bare has a good 7mm suit, as do other companies as well.

With the 2 piece, you've got 14mm covering the torso, and 7mm on the arms and legs. Then, in warmer water, wear just one piece, not both.

Make sure it fits well so you don't have water free-flowing through the suit. It should be quite snug.

Ken

Sounds pretty good - just bought my wife a bare nexgen though we decided to go with a new one. I bought my drysuit from someone on scubaboard. Its a dacor drysuit - now you can buy it brand new - http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=DacorDrySuit

For not much more than I paid used, though at the time I bought it they cost more. Its definately not a DUI or other top of the line suit, but I stay dry and it fits.

As long as it does not leak and it fits you...it is a good buy. You wil need thermal underwear for the environment your diving. Plus a drysuit course would be a good thing to follow.

Aside from that. A thicker wetsuit maybe your choice aswell.

Safe dives

Stephen

The price looks fair to me, assuming the zipper is good and it fits. That suit is a very basic bi-lam. As to leaks, all drysuits eventually leak, and if you dive one a lot, finding and fixing small leaks becomes basic maintenance.

Your real issue (assuming the suit fits) is going to be insulation. Good insulation is as important as a good suit, so buying the drysuit is only half the job, and you could easily spend just as much on the insulation. I would see if the dive shop will make you some kind on combo deal on the suit and insulation.

The link to that ScubaToys Dacor tri-lam looks like a better deal, though.

As to using a wetsuit instead... well, that's just cRaZy!! :wink:

I have been using a pre-owned dry suit for a couple of years. I usually just wear my old ski underwear and sweats under it for insulation. Just be careful not to wear anything that will shed lint. Lint is bad for the exhaust valve and can make it stick open.

Take a class in dry suit diving or dive it under the supervision of an instructor who knows you have not used one before. It is easy to get into trouble with boyancy if you don't know the hazards and tricks.

Otherwise dry suits rule. Unless you have to have to suit up in a hurry or you need to strip fast to get into a chamber for your surface decompression... Oh wait, this is a SCUBA forum, no chambers.

I had great luck with a used suit for 2 years. Agree that the key is fit and the zipper. My old suit's zipper finally went, and as I was getting it fixed, my wife had a weak moment and OK'd a new one. If you're a big guy, see my add under classifieds for an XXL suit.

MAKE SURE the gaskets are in good (great) shape NO hairline checks or cracks.

Divetank is a good retailer - I purchased a Bare CD4 Pro Dry suit from them. Unfortunately it leaked.. Not their fault! Bare fixed it in good time..

They were easy to deal with other the phone.. I'll buy there again.
S.

I'm the wife "TimLe" mentioned above and comparing diving in a 7mm two piece wetsuit (14mm core) with diving a drysuit is insane! I hate the restriction thick wetsuits have not to mention getting them on and off and getting them dry in time for a multiple day trip. Dry is so much more comfortable during the surface interval too. If you can afford it, by all means dive DRY! I plan on diving dry until the middle of summer and I'm in FL!

We got my drysuit from divetank.com a few weeks ago and my really thick wetsuit from there a year ago. The wetsuit had fitting issues and they were very helpful in returning it.

Miranda

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom