Is a core warmer a good investment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch core warmer to wear with my Henderson Hyperstretch 3 mm full wetsuit.

My question is:

For those that own a core warmer... has it been a good investment?

or...

Do you wish you would have saved the $ on the core warmer and just purchased a thicker full suit?

I'm trying to make up my mind and think that some firsthand experience from fellow SBers might help sway me one way or the other.

Thanks!

It's a powerful half step. In addition to a little extra rubber on the torso it will mute the zipper seepage when worn under. Make it a hooded vest an it closes off the neckopening making a huge difference.

If that gets you where you need to be it beats bumping up the whole suit.

Certanly a good investment even if it's not your last.

Pete

erparamedic:
I'm looking at purchasing a 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch core warmer to wear with my Henderson Hyperstretch 3 mm full wetsuit.

My question is:

For those that own a core warmer... has it been a good investment?

or...

Do you wish you would have saved the $ on the core warmer and just purchased a thicker full suit?

I'm trying to make up my mind and think that some firsthand experience from fellow SBers might help sway me one way or the other.

Thanks!

The Henderson Brand Core Warmer is about $170 bucks. *ouch*

You're paying a lot for what is essentially a brand name shorty w/o sleeves.

I'd first try picking up a $50 shorty and trying that first (as a core) . If it works, you've saved $120 bucks and now have a shorty for tropical diving.

(You can always remove the sleeves if needed .)

Thank you both for your replies. I believe I'll look at some cheap shorties and see if any fit. (I'm a hard fit, so I tend to sway towards the hyperstretch)

Keep any replies coming... the more ideas/info I get, the better! :wink:

mike_s:
The Henderson Brand Core Warmer is about $170 bucks. *ouch*

You're paying a lot for what is essentially a brand name shorty w/o sleeves.

I'd first try picking up a $50 shorty and trying that first (as a core) . If it works, you've saved $120 bucks and now have a shorty for tropical diving.

(You can always remove the sleeves if needed .)

Dang that's a lot. I got a Bare 5mm for under $200 and it was for tropical diving in 81-84 degree water. I dive 3-4 times a day and after 3-4 days it gradually drops your core temp. Bare has some good sizes if you are hard to fit. I've got 67 dives on my 5mm and it can take another 20-30 dive trip.

You can have the Bare hooded chicken Vest for way under $100.

Pete

I've got a Henderson 3mm and a Henderson 5mm.

If I need to layer some extra warmth on, Here's what I use.

Tilos 2mm Shorty - $55
http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_ws_menJ2020shorty.asp

Tilos 1mm full suit (with heat reflective interior surface) - $79
http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_ws_menJ1056velvet.asp

Wearing the above suit under the 5mm is thin enough to not cramp your joints but warm enough to add a lot of extra warmth and another layer of water to warm you.

Evo 2mm zippered vest. $30
Having no arms in the vest adds core chest warm without restrictions
http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Evo - Unisex 2mm Front Zip Vest_ID32817

All of the above can be bought for about what one Henderson Core Warmer can be bought for but give you much more in diving options.

I've got a Henderson long 3mm and I plan on getting a hooded vest and a $50 shorty. I think I'll be set for many temperatures by mixing and matching.

Personally I could never see spending THAT much extra money on a henderson brand product when everyone else is selling their's for like half that. Unless henderson lines the suits with 24kt gold, it's not worth it.

The first piece of neoprene that I bought was a 3mm core warmer. Why? $8 at the Sally Ann! Cheap as borscht! :D Now that I've started diving, I seriously doubt I'll ever use it. I simply cannot pee in the ocean and it's one more layer of clothing to get out of to use the head.

I wound up getting a 5mm full suit, and am planning on getting a 3mm next, so I think I've got it covered. :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Back
Top Bottom