opinions needed on my noobie gear choices...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to hear opinions/comments/criticism on my first gear buying choices...

Regulator: Atomic B2, with the Safe Second 1

BC: Maybe the knighthawk, but I would like to buy all my gear from LeisurePro, they have excellent prices on the B2, but they are sold out of the knighthawk, so I'm thinking either a Zeagle Stiletto or maybe a BP/W(I just like the idea of having pockets), so if anyone could recommend a nice BP/W, I'd be very very appreciative

Gauge: Suunto Cobra...

and I'm thinking about getting a new mask (switching from the Mares X-Vision to the Atomic frameless)

thanks!

Jack

Do you know if you will like it?
Do you know if it will fit?
Do you understand the warranty and service implications?

Other than that those are quality mainstream items.

pETE

Give TDL a try for the backplate and wing. I think they have something like an Apeks for a B/P as far as wings go they have a few also, or you can go with a OMS, Deepoutdoors, Oxycheq. Usally a 50 to 65 lb one with do. You might want to look further down the road b/4 you buy if your thinking of tech class and maybe some warm water diving you can weigh out wheather or not you'd like to go with a dbl bladder or just pair 2 wings up.

I'm not a fan of combined inflator/octo units (yes I used to use one, and didn't like it.) But to each their own - just make sure you know the pros and cons of them before purchasing.

If you've decided what BC you want I'm sure you can find a place to get it, don't see a reason to be stuck on one place online or otherwise. If you haven't decided what you want yet, which seems to be the case here, you should figure that out first.

Suunto Cobra isn't a gauge, its a computer.

Does your current mask not fit or have some problem? Can't see giving up a well fitting mask. If it doesn't fit, do you know the Atomic will fit better?

hey spectrum, i understand about the SS1...I have been doing a lot of reading on here, it seems that 50% like it, 50% don't...I think I would like it....a lot....

I am just a little clueless about the BC....

thanks for the responses so far though!

JackSpearo:
hey spectrum, i understand about the SS1...I have been doing a lot of reading on here, it seems that 50% like it, 50% don't...I think I would like it....a lot....

You have to try some out before dumping $500+ on a BC. I went through three different ones before I found the one I liked. Try friends or see if you LDS rents the one you want to try. The Knighthawk is an excellent back inflate BC, I dove one for a while. Now I mainly dive a BP/W combination, more extensible; definitely try one out before you commit to a traditional BC. Also bring your web prices into the LDS and see what they can do for you. I have found that most are willing to work with you to get your business.

Oh yeah, welcome to diving! Have you checked out the Deep Dixie Divers group yet? We have trips going all year long.
:monkeydan

I like my SS1. You would, of course, donate the primary.

The Knightkawk is a great BC - the pockets are itsy-bitsy. I auditioned one before buying a Stiletto.

BP/W's are good too and you can add pockets. A few years after buying the Stiletto I auditioned a bp/w and then bought a DiveRite Transpac.

Transpac vs Stiletto - maybe a toss-up as far as I'm concerned. They are quite different and if was going to recommend one or the other to a new diver it would be the Stiletto. It's like wearing your favorite old pair of blue jeans and has the best integrated weight system. Considerably less expensive than a Transpac to boot.

Suunto is popular. I use Oceanic.

My mask is an OceanMaster and fits great and leaks very little but like the BC I'm wanting something else and I'm about to order an Atomic Frameless.

My split fins are Atomic and so are my regulators (B2's) and I just like their stuff.

JackSpearo:

I dove the knighthawk a few times and liked it very much. In fact I like it better than my BC :(

On the safe second, doing a out of air drill and swimming around alot will tell you how much you do or don't like it. It may help to have your buddy simulate being a bit panicked. If you still like it, then you might as well get it since you've tested it's intended purpose. That's my two cents.

spectrum:
Do you know if you will like it?
Do you know if it will fit?
Do you understand the warranty and service implications?

Other than that those are quality mainstream items.

pETE

With a Backplate and wing, each of those questions can be answered quite simply:

YES. You will LOVE it...or Ill buy it from you:eyebrow: . You will love the simplicity and the STREAMLINED FEELING!

YES. It WILL fit. And the same plate will most likely fit 3,000 people with adjustments to the harness.

YES. Service? Warranty? It's a STEEL PLATE. No man-eating lobster attack or impact with a foreign object shy of a train on the drive to your divesite is going to damage the plate. Most manufacturers stand behind their bladders - At least with my RecWing, everything is fully replaceable.

YES. You can put pockets on your harness. OMS makes some nice stuff like that.

YES! Backplates are relatively inexpensive! (I paid $335, bp/w/harness, 4 Rings, everything. Northeast scuba supply)

maybe. you might like something else more.

YES. You should try every single product you can get your hands on before you buy it.

Seriously dude, check em out. Indeed I am a convert.

-Matt

Back
Top Bottom