Regulator service liability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill_24

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently purchased a new regulator and went to a local dive shop and asked about renting a tank during the pool training sessions so I could make sure everything worked properly. He told me he couldn't rent me a tank until he saw the service tag on the regulator because of a liability to him. I'm not aware of a governing regulation on how often you have to service gear in order to rent a tank, or it seems you'd just sign a liability waiver so the dive shop isn't accountable. Seems to me like this guy was just trying to get me to pay him to service my gear. Thoughts?

No there is no regulation as to what has to be serviced to rent a tank. But, if you are going to the pool during his training session, then he is dead on!

If anything were to happen to you during that session, even if you aren't registered in the class, he is still responsible because he supplied training equipment (the tank) and a training environment (the pool). When we were running classes, we required everyone in the pool to either be in our rental equipment or using stuff serviced by us within the last 90 days.

Let's face it, if you had a problem, even if it had nothing to do with him, his gear or his class, his students are going to see bad stuff happen ... right at the beginning of their diving life. Some may quit on the spot while others may think that "if that could happen in the pool, imagine what might happen in open water!"

YOU already suggested that you don't trust the shop where you bought the regulator by saying that you wanted to test it somewhere else like his pool. I suggest that you take the regulator back to the shop where you bought it and ask to use THEIR pool for testing.

I think you've just run afoul of the Golden Rule.

He could have any one of a number of motivations

*Driving repair business
*Upset he didn't make the sale
*He really does not want to be in the pool time rental business
*He really didn't like the look of your prize and was fearful for your safety

The repair status of gear is not covered by law however insurance companies are exerting new influences all of the time. An arbitrary 1 year interval is conceivable since with a few exceptions it is the manufacturers standard requirement. A waiver is only of limited value, just getting involved in a case in a major PITA.

You could try asking him why.

Pete

spectrum:
He could have any one of a number of motivations

*Driving repair business
*Upset he didn't make the sale
*He really does not want to be in the pool time rental business
*He really didn't like the look of your prize and was fearful for your safety

The repair status of gear is not covered by law however insurance companies are exerting new influences all of the time. An arbitrary 1 year interval is conceivable since with a few exceptions it is the manufacturers standard requirement. A waiver is only of limited value, just getting involved in a case in a major PITA.

You could try asking him why.

Pete
Betcha he says that, "his insurance won't permit it.":D

He's just trying to get you to service the regulator. To be honest, that's not a bad idea. But if you just want to rent a tank to play with it, go elsewhere.

[edit]
I just realized this is a brand NEW regulator. I take back my comment above. That was said with the misunderstanding that it was a used reg off of some guy.

It's a brand new regulator. It does not need servicing. Find another place to train.

Bill_24:
He told me he couldn't rent me a tank until he saw the service tag on the regulator because of a liability to him.

i call b.s.

he's punishing you for buying gear elsewhere, and wants to make an extra buck off you on top of it all

don't deal with people like this

rcontrera:
When we were running classes, we required everyone in the pool to either be in our rental equipment or using stuff serviced by us within the last 90 days.

that's a nice side income you guys had going

:wink:

Andy: You pretty much nailed it. One of the oldest SCUBA scams going.

Bill_24:
I recently purchased a new regulator and went to a local dive shop and asked about renting a tank during the pool training sessions so I could make sure everything worked properly. He told me he couldn't rent me a tank until he saw the service tag on the regulator because of a liability to him. I'm not aware of a governing regulation on how often you have to service gear in order to rent a tank, or it seems you'd just sign a liability waiver so the dive shop isn't accountable. Seems to me like this guy was just trying to get me to pay him to service my gear. Thoughts?

your first line says "recently purchased a new regulator"

If it's new, (not used) then there is no reason to service it.

(or is it a "new to use" but used regulator?)

If it's new, then I can understand him having you sign a liability release before you use his pool, or his tank, but if he's trying to see a service tag on any regulator then I agree with Andy, it's just a load of B.S.

As for LDS regulator service, I know some shops have great regulator techs, but a lot just have part-time-wanna-be-techs that have no formal training and no real experience. Yet there are people I know who rebuild their own reg and can run circles around some of these guys as LDS's who have no clue.

Its just like the Visual inspection thing. Most LDS's have no one with formal training or even have a written procedure for their tank monkeys to follow. Yet I've been in local LDS and was given crap by some part time employee who doesn't even know how to read the expiration date on a Visual sticker.

Go find another LDS... no reason for that crap.

Ok.. I'll get off my rant now...

Based on the first response, I guess it is not an uncommon scam. But his pool and his tank, so his rules. Take your money elsewhere. Encourage others tio do the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom