Storing can light: can open or clamped closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I assume that I'll want to keep my Salvo light battery can open in between dives. Or is the O-ring tought enough to stay squished most of the time?

(What happened to the Lights forum anyway? Boo.)

I read on some website(can't remember which) that if it's not going to be used for some time, then leave open. They didn't say how much time.

I store mine with the lid on but o ring not installed...

I put it inside the cannister then secure the lid.

i try to remember to open mine, but often forget...

Wow... glad ya' asked the question... and thanks to all for the answers. I'm just getting into the whole underwater video/photography thing myself and the question has now been answered before it crossed my mind!! U'z guyz is good!!!

Just too keep in the back of your mind... if you seal the can light (or camera) at a higher elevation (Lake Tahoe, Reno, Colorado) then drive down the hill to dive you might not get that sucker open :)

One of our local SF Bay Area types found that out personally :lol:

I've actually never really worried about it too much, though as my salvo gets a lot of use, it's often being charged, so I leave the lid off.

The pressure change due to drop in elevation is a good point. It also happens with camera housings too. Spent some time in Colorado years ago and you have to get used to bulging packaging like yogurt as this stuff is packed a sea level mostly. When you get a mile in the sky, the stuff looks like it's about to explode.

I'll be storing my battery discharged in the vegetable bin of the fridge. Keeping it cold slows the aging process of the battery. Not sure if this works as well with the NiMH, but for the lithium's it's the way to go. At the shop, we store all the can's open and batteries out.

I store my can lights closed, with the o-rings trapped. I do so because my cat likes to chew on little rubber bits (he's in the corner chewing a bit of surgical tubing at the moment). - Kirk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom