Cheapest country to get trained as a DM?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

onefishtwofish

Registered
Reaction score
Hello from Paris,

In July I will have 2 months free to travel. I would like to use that time to get trained as a Divemaster. I presently have my Rescue certification.

So my question is this, where in the Mediterranean, Red Sea, or Black Sea is it the cheapest to get trained as a divemaster?

Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help

going in clockwork order, you've got quite a few countries - potrugal, spain, france, italy, former yugoslavia, albania, greece, turkey, romania, ukraine, georgia, syria, lebanon, israel, saudi arabia, egypt, and the rest of northern africa.

just from economic perspective - i'd eliminate western europe since it's more pricy. Ukraine should be cheap but I don't know if your French or English will help you much. I'd check other eastern european countries as well, Turkey and N.Africa.

Although not mentioned on your list of countries you are considering, I would head for Thailand - in particular Ko Phi Phi. I visited there twice in 2005 and did my Rescue Course there. A lot of gap year travellers were doing thier DM training because it is so cheap - both course costs and living costs. Instructors are all exats. PLus the island is stunning and their economy is still recovering from the Tsunami so every $ spent makes a difference. Ko Phi Phi was the location for "the beach" - that rubbish film with leonardo de Caprio. sheena

If I may ask, Why is financial considerations the bases for where to get your training?

The liability for training and leading divers, many of which should not be in the water, is high. By trying to go as cheap as possible you may not get the training you could really use.

A better question is "Who would you recommend taking the course from?"
Money be dammed. "If you demand the best, you often get it."

Hallmac:
If I may ask, Why is financial considerations the bases for where to get your training?

The liability for training and leading divers, many of which should not be in the water, is high. By trying to go as cheap as possible you may not get the training you could really use.

A better question is "Who would you recommend taking the course from?"
Money be dammed. "If you demand the best, you often get it."

100% Agreed ! and check Dive Con as well.

You guys are absolutely right. I'm not not looking for a cheap DM cert as much as a high value DM cert.

So then allow me to refrain my question into the form you suggest: Who would you recommend getting a DM certification from? Where in Easter Europe/Middle East/Northern Africa are there the best dives with the best teachers (for the best price)?

Thanks for your advice,

onefishtowfish

Egypt - Poseidon in Dahab or Oonas in Sharm el Sheikh. Poseidon have several nationalities represented in their staff. You'll get high quality training and world class diving. Sheena

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom