PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest country to get trained as a DM?

onefishtwofish
April 3rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Hello from Paris,

In July I will have 2 months free to travel. I would like to use that time to get trained as a Divemaster. I presently have my Rescue certification.

So my question is this, where in the Mediterranean, Red Sea, or Black Sea is it the cheapest to get trained as a divemaster?

Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for your help

Mikhail Frenkel
April 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
going in clockwork order, you've got quite a few countries - potrugal, spain, france, italy, former yugoslavia, albania, greece, turkey, romania, ukraine, georgia, syria, lebanon, israel, saudi arabia, egypt, and the rest of northern africa.

just from economic perspective - i'd eliminate western europe since it's more pricy. Ukraine should be cheap but I don't know if your French or English will help you much. I'd check other eastern european countries as well, Turkey and N.Africa.

srt1548
April 5th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Although not mentioned on your list of countries you are considering, I would head for Thailand - in particular Ko Phi Phi. I visited there twice in 2005 and did my Rescue Course there. A lot of gap year travellers were doing thier DM training because it is so cheap - both course costs and living costs. Instructors are all exats. PLus the island is stunning and their economy is still recovering from the Tsunami so every $ spent makes a difference. Ko Phi Phi was the location for "the beach" - that rubbish film with leonardo de Caprio. sheena

Hallmac
April 5th, 2007, 10:15 AM
If I may ask, Why is financial considerations the bases for where to get your training?

The liability for training and leading divers, many of which should not be in the water, is high. By trying to go as cheap as possible you may not get the training you could really use.

A better question is "Who would you recommend taking the course from?"
Money be dammed. "If you demand the best, you often get it."

ofleisher
April 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM
If I may ask, Why is financial considerations the bases for where to get your training?

The liability for training and leading divers, many of which should not be in the water, is high. By trying to go as cheap as possible you may not get the training you could really use.

A better question is "Who would you recommend taking the course from?"
Money be dammed. "If you demand the best, you often get it."

100% Agreed ! and check Dive Con as well.

onefishtwofish
April 6th, 2007, 01:16 PM
You guys are absolutely right. I'm not not looking for a cheap DM cert as much as a high value DM cert.

So then allow me to refrain my question into the form you suggest: Who would you recommend getting a DM certification from? Where in Easter Europe/Middle East/Northern Africa are there the best dives with the best teachers (for the best price)?

Thanks for your advice,

onefishtowfish

srt1548
April 6th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Egypt - Poseidon in Dahab or Oonas in Sharm el Sheikh. Poseidon have several nationalities represented in their staff. You'll get high quality training and world class diving. Sheena

onefishtwofish
April 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM
So of all those countries, Egypt comes out on top?

Dude, say the word, I'll buy my ticket...

onefishtwofish
April 6th, 2007, 04:40 PM
...and what's Dive Con?

ofleisher
April 6th, 2007, 06:02 PM
So of all those countries, Egypt comes out on top?

Dude, say the word, I'll buy my ticket...

check this out :
http://www.coralsea.co.il/Eng/

Ex-Aquanaut
April 6th, 2007, 09:45 PM
onefishtowfish,

How much do you want to dive? How about every day for two months? How about doing it for free?

Like srt1548, I too have to suggest Thailand. Not only is it a great deal compared to Europe and the other places on your list, the quality of the training can be very very good.

We at Aquanauts offer Rescue Divers like yourself a two month package that includes UNLIMITED DIVING, full, private accommodations, your DM course, all materials, your DM cert fee, your choice of 3 packages of bonus courses (PADI specialties / DAN/EFR courses or introductory tech courses), plus a full set of new Scubapro gear (if needed) for $3,300-$4,000 (depending on gear).

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal. You'd log as many as 120 dives plus be part of our overall internship program where most DMTs are going to instructor, so you will be trained so that by the end of your course you will be scoring 4.5's and above. We simply don't sign off "barely passing" DMs. We want to make sure you are competant and safe to go out and work as a DM anywhere in the world.

Pattaya also has the advantage of being just an hour flight from Phuket, Phi Phi, Samui and Koh Tao. Here we have year-round diving (unlike down south), plus three wrecks to explore.

You can find full program details at the link in my signature.

Lingfield
May 5th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Egypt - Poseidon in Dahab or Oonas in Sharm el Sheikh. Poseidon have several nationalities represented in their staff. You'll get high quality training and world class diving. Sheena
Agree about Poseidon. However the Dahab dive centres are much of a muchness and Poseidon are pricey. They currently want 600 euros for DM whereas H20 for example want 550 euros. Poseidon add on 175 euros for "course materials " and 80 euros PADI fees.

Lingfield
May 9th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Agree about Poseidon. However the Dahab dive centres are much of a muchness and Poseidon are pricey. They currently want 600 euros for DM whereas H20 for example want 550 euros. Poseidon add on 175 euros for "course materials " and 80 euros PADI fees.
See that Red Sea Relax are currently only charging 499 euros for DM plus course materials at 145 euros (plus PADI accreditation of course)

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1