wetsuit brands...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've pretty much narrowed down the best BC's, the best regs, etc...But with wetsuits I'm still a little lost...

One dive shop told me Excel was the best because it was the most comfy and had the best warranty...(also had an expensive price tag on it)

Another LDS told me that he used to carry Xcel, but now he carries Mares and Pinnacle, because they are better...

and then you have ScubaPro and Henderson...

anyone have any preference to any wetsuit brand?

and if I'm doing mostly warm water diving, mostly caribbean with a few freshwater dives like Crystal River and Devil's Den (in FL, which is 72 year round), would a 5 mm suit me well?

I always thought I wanted a 3mm, then I dived with one in Florida on Sunday and I was cold...and I love the cold...

thanks,

Jack

I've only used Henderson (Gold Core) but, I've heard good things about Pinnacle.

Michael

Wetsuit, Mask, Fins, BC,...these are thing that must fit your particular body and style of diving, try a few suits out and see how they fit, don't bother searching based on brands, specially for a suit, go with what fits you best.
I ended-up with a 3/2mm Bodyglove suit, desinged for and sold to surfers, but it fit me and a my tropical diving needs.

I absolutely love my Akona. I got the 6.5mm Farmer John, and plan on getting the 3mm full. It's inexpensive, fits perfect, and I stay exceptionally warm.

IMO-The three most important points when choosing among reputable manufacturers are fit, fit and fit. You can't go very wrong with warm water diving anyway but fit is always most important in a wetsuit.

I was leaning towards ScubaPro. Then had a friend with a ScubaPro that had a thread coming loose on the leg. My LDS gave her a new one for free, no questions asked. I chose ScubaPro.
I went with a 3 mil and also got a 2 mil hooded vest for when the lakes are chilly. I was in Canyon Lake last month where the temps at depth were high 50's. I'm cold natured and I was nice and toasty.

I have a Bare that I can't say enough good things about. It was relatively inexpensive, is durable, and fits like a second skin. Bare has a fairly extensive sizing chart, so getting a good fit is easy.

I have a Henderson Hyperstretch that I'm pretty luke-warm about. It's actually too stretchy. It's extremely easy to put on, but that stretchiness means that it doesn't feel real snug underwater...I think it allows too much water flow.

My wife has a Pinnacle and an O'Neill and likes them both, but rates the Pinnacle a bit higher.

As other have said, getting a good fit is way, way more important than the brand.

Mountain Dog

Back
Top Bottom