Changing a hose location on first stage...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsado

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would like to switch the location of one of my hoses coming from my first stage. I have an oceanic cdx-5 first stage. It seems that when my bc is fully inflated, the shoulder dump sort of pushes my hose in a way I'm not completely comfortable with. So, two possible solutions that I see. 1) raise my tank so it's a little higher in the BC. Maybe I'm securing it too low? 2) Switch the location of my hose to one of the available spots that point away from the BC.

My question is, if I do switch it, what precautions should I be aware of?

Switching the hose is super easy. Just be careful not to cross thread when you are putting the hose in the new LP Port. Make sure you keep the open ports clear of any debris that may be able to enter the first stage. Use a little silicone grease on the o-ring. Do not over tighten the hose or the plug when installing. Just go hand tight and then just a little further with a wrench. You want it to be just tight enough that you cannot remove by hand.

I think you will be surprised just how easy it is...

You could move your tank up as well, but if you are fine with your trim I would not move it. If you move it up to high then it could also hit you in the back of the head which is no fun.

Phil

skdvr:
You could move your tank up as well, but if you are fine with your trim I would not move it. If you move it up to high then it could also hit you in the back of the head which is no fun.

Phil

first......what is trim?

second.......I have my tank where I have it because it used to hit me in the head! I HATE THAT!!

Trim is a word used to describe your position in the water. For general diving purposes, a horizontal position is most efficient, especially while moving from place to place. If your equipment is arranged improperly (eg. tank too low), it will obligate you either to be in a feet-low position or to fin constantly to avoid it. Being feet low has a lot of side effects, which include a tendency to kick up the bottom any time you're near it, as well as being unable to achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy.

jsado:
second.......I have my tank where I have it because it used to hit me in the head! I HATE THAT!!
Well, then it sounds like moving the hose is probably the better option, compared to moving the tank up. I hate the regulator head butt as well. Skdvr gives a excellent summary of what to do - it is easy and straightforward.

This is the ocd side of me with a touch of the desire to baby my new reg, but are there specifications for how much torque to apply to first stage connections? Say for the same Oceanic CDX5 first stage. :D

alphonsis:
This is the ocd side of me with a touch of the desire to baby my new reg, but are there specifications for how much torque to apply to first stage connections? Say for the same Oceanic CDX5 first stage. :D

I didn't like the hose angle of the designated primary (R) port on my CDX5, so i moved the primary to the forward LP port. I don't notice any difference in breathing. As for torque, you need to use my carefully calculated scientific method. Hand tight plus just a little tighter. Just tight enough so that it does not come loose on its own. The seal is made with the o-ring, not the tightness.

I bought my BCD separately so needed to add its hose to the first sta -, but I had similar obsessive concerns (having never serviced any of my brand new gear). Searching the Internet I found torque specs in a service manual for my regulator posted somewhere (not by the manufacturer). Since I had only a socket torque wrench however (and after a conversation with my LDS) I used the "hand tight then a 'little bit'" guidance - paying attention to how tight the original insert was torqued. I think the 'little bit' beyond hand tight was perhaps just 1/10 of a turn more and perhaps less. It worked fine for a few dives although the connection had no strain relief so I soon took it to my LDS and for ~2 bucks they redid the connection to add the strain relief tubing - but the tech also did the connection by hand then a teeny bit with the wrench.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom