swim cap / head covering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red_5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
neoprene beanies don't fit my big head.

I don't have the fullest head of hair and would like something I could wear in the water to protect my noggin from the sun.

The first thing that comes to mind is something like the Austrailian Life Guard caps, something with a strap to hold it on in the water.

I've searched a few on-line scuba shops for something, but nothing turns up.

I know you guys are resourceful, so if it's out there, you probably already know of it :)

can you help me out here?

Have you checked the surf lines?

You might find a custom made one not too expensive either, maybe order up several while you are at it?

Neoprene beanies come in larger sizes.
Or, perhaps a fleece beanie (e.g. Polartec). They stretch a bit. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in the stores in recent years.

I tried a swim cap till my friends told me I looked like a big sperm underwater. Then I went with the neoprene ball cap and that seems to work fairly well. Although during my last trip I went with the SCUBADoRag which seems to work really well.

the surf caps are a step in the right direction. :wink:

remember, need to wear a mask with this thing on.. some of the surf caps have a bill that seemed too big or a hinderance to mask wear

and I'd prefer to not have my ears covered

I would also like a chin strap, I don't want to lose the thing on the first dive.

My son came back from paintball with some kind of rigid skull cap....if you don't mind the home invasion look.

Carolyn at Liquid Fit will whip one up to fit you.

Pete

You need a swimmers lycra/rubber cap. These are made for people who lap swim or open water swim. They can be gotten in lycra in a variety of colors and also in silicone rubber in a variety of colors. Try Speedo and Finals. I used to swim open water and triathlons and laps swimming. There are cheapo versions made of latex, these last only a few weeks. The silicone types actually have some thermal benifit. Swim stores and team sporting goods stores should have them as well. They require no straps and will stretch over your noggin and stay put nicely. Get one in a bright color so that when your bobbing on the surface I don't hit you with my boat.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom