What gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gunnit2682

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a new diver and I am wanting to know what accessory pieces of equipment do I need in addition to the obvious stuff like BC, reg, wetsuit (including hood gloves and booties), fins, mask, snorkel. Also what suggestions would y'all have as to what brands and any specific models out there that are good?

I suspect you'll need some background info since this gear is probably, in some cases, specialized to the type of diving you do. I am working on my AOW certification and am really interested in wreck diving, night diving, deep diving (within reason), and diving locations like reefs and walls.

Thanks in advance

If you have the $$$$ get a good knife, a reel, lift bag and a SMB(Surface Marker Buoy). That should get you started :)

A good light would probably be very helpful.

I personally do not see the need of a reel or lift bag for a beginner.

I'd add a compass to the list if you don't already have one and a safety sausage.

IMHO, a SMB, mirror, whistle, knife and a few illumn sticks should be standard when diving in the open sea.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

That list grow exponentially with experience but to get started I would suggest:

-Dont get a snorkle unless you really feel its necessary.
-good knife that isn't huge and is not designed to be strapped to your leg.
-SMB or also known as a surface marker buoy that can be deployed orally, via inflator, and via octopus.
-Finger spool with 125' of line, make sure the hole in the center of the spool is big enough for you largest finger in your thickest gloves. A good reel is nice also but a spool is a good place to start practicing with.
-Spare mask (and a pocket to store it if necessary), twice this summer I had my mask drop to the bottom this summer alone for various reasons but with the spare at my side I was able to retrieve it.
-2 lights, a good larger light and a smaller backup. HID lights are all the rage but are very spendy. I have the pelican lights approved for diving and they work great and are very inexpensive, plus the warrantee is the best in the industry.

If you want to go deep or intend to do some solo diving it would be wise to get a redundant air source set up. This means dont buy a "spare air" also. If you can afford a reg (1st and second stage and cheap gauge) and a 19cuft pony bottle and the hardware to sling it than you will have a cheap insurance policy that could save you or a buddy.

That should be plenty of accessories for a while.

Oh yeah and can I say you should buy a Back plate and wing instead of a BCD, thats what the cool kids get nowadays.

I agree with the BP/W (back plate/wing) set up.

I know virtually nothing about BP/W setups. What brands do y'all suggest. I'm open to all suggestions since im still reasearching what gear I will get.

Gunnit2682:
I know virtually nothing about BP/W setups. What brands do y'all suggest. I'm open to all suggestions since im still reasearching what gear I will get.

I use a Dive Rite Transpac II and I love it.

transpac.gif

Gunnit2682:

I have a www.golemgear.com #35 stainless steel combo

Also have a Suunto SK7 compass that I purchased from www.leisurepro.com and then took off the factory boot and put a wrist mount bungee boot from www.deepseasupply.com on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom