Advice on Oceanic GT3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jupitermermaid

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I'm new at this thing, so I need some expert advice. I saw a combo package on Divers Supply for a GT3 W- CDX5 regulator, seal elite ranger octo and sea elite slimline 2 gauge console for $349.95. Is this a good deal? More importantly, are they good products? I don't know what's good to buy online, and what you need to go to a store to try out. Since I need the whole kit and kaboodle, price is a big deal (but so is safety and comfort).

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me. :10:

Divers-Supply is an excellent onliner. But I would suggest you do some research into brands and features you want in your gear. I see you are in Jupiter Fl. There are a ton of places for you to go and try, touch and ask about gear. All listed below have locations near you. Between them you can find any brand, style, color, feature you wish.

scuba-works.com
jupiterdivecenter.com
force-e.com
diversdirect.com

Once you know what make and model you want, then hunt for the deal online or at your LDS.

My advice would be to get a computer not just guages (pressure and depth). I made that mistake when I first bought gear. I upgraded to AI computer and now have a gauge set sitting in the closet.

That certainly makes a lot of sense! I don't even know what I'm looking for, since I did all my dives with a friend's equipment. Now that I'm branching out I need my own gear and didn't realize that there were so many different kinds out there. Why can't we be more like Romania and have 1 kind of everything so we don't need to make choices?????:11doh:

Well, I took your advice and went to my local dive shop. I ended up buying a Scuba Pro Ladyhawk weight integrated BCD, an MK 11 and S555 1st and 2nd stage regulator, an Aladin Prime 3 in line gauge console, and a pair of Kinetix fins. It cost me my first grandchild, but hey, diving comfortably beats changing diapers anytime. Now I can't wait to get in the water and try them out!!

Hi,

I'm new at this thing, so I need some expert advice. I saw a combo package on Divers Supply for a GT3 W- CDX5 regulator, seal elite ranger octo and sea elite slimline 2 gauge console for $349.95. Is this a good deal? More importantly, are they good products? I don't know what's good to buy online, and what you need to go to a store to try out. Since I need the whole kit and kaboodle, price is a big deal (but so is safety and comfort).

Thanks for any recommendations you can give me. :10:

I saw in your last post you already bought your gear, but thought I'd make a comment answer on the part above.

Absolutely nothing wrong with SEA ELITE and that octo above, but if you're goting to buy a Oceanic regulator, I'd suggest an Oceanic octo also. Why? that way you can get it serviced locally everywhere. SEA ELITE rebuild kits can only be obtained from Divers Supply and while there is nothing wrong with that, if you took it in to get it worked on anywhere else you'll hear "We can work on the 1st and 2nd stage, but we don't have parts for the Octo".

No sense in having to have a split parts source. (Now, Divers Supply also supports Oceanic, so you could get all parts from them if needed).

just something for anyone else reading this that might have a question to think about regardless of brand.

Back
Top Bottom