new gear CRAVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Like the BC guy i'm wondering if it is abnormal to want to get a new piece of gear everytime you have money? Though I'm a student I cannot have money sitting around and not want to buy some new equipment. So far I have regs, mask, fins, wetsuit, camera, computer and now my new BC is on the way. I'm sure a strobe will be next.. Does anyone else get caught up like this. However, I am not just buying a whole bunch at once. The only new stuff this term is my camera and my BC, the rest of the stuff was accumulated before summer.

heheheh - most my gear is 10yrs old but this year i got a drysuit for our wedding anniversary so basically my hubby is a bit like you, he keeps buying gear and if he cant buy any for himself (he also got a rebreather this year) he buys it for me or one of the kids

he tells me buying gear is one of the joys of being employed, healthy and having free time to enjoy

cheers

I don't know....pretty much I love not spending money. Spending money is hard for me becausethen I won't have as much of it....so I really do often go to Walmart with a reall long list and end up getting maybe two or three things, whatever Ir eally need. I try to live without many of my "wants" :)

Selling my second set of regs was really hard, but I forced myself to do it, because I needed money to go to a friend's wedding without going into debt.

Wow jahjah, that's kinda drastic:rofl3: considering the chances of you needing that reg are alot better than them staying married:11:. Divorce rate being what it is they got maybe a 50/50 chance at the outside. Most likely less. First time your reg is getting serviced somebody is gonna call you to dive and guess what? You're gonna have to call your friend and ask to use his wife cause you passed up a dive for them:D. As for accumulating gear, get used to it. I thought when I started I was going to stay around 1800 for everything. Did not count on finding not only a new hobby but a lifestyle. And possible side source of income. as far as gear goes 14,000 dollars later I'm still not done. That's in 3 yrs. And like almighty's hubby it's one of the perks of being employed, healthy, free, and having a very understanding wife! If you think you're bad now, go tech. Then it's just a matter of keeping the wallet open and credit cards handy. I'm not even looking a rebreathers! Doing instructor next May and now a scooter is looking interesting.

Yeah, it's a common affliction, most sports or hobbies I've been involved in bring out this impulse, but none to the degree that diving seems to.
I just saw two sets of Afga full face masks w/communication on Craigslist......$800......must resisit.....but sooooo coool, NO, must resist...must resist...but....maybe?

I have the urge, but once I got a complete set, I set out to dive more. But every time I get back from a trip, I start lookign for the next trip I can take, start figuring out how much overtime will get me there, and still leave money for the kids' college fund and retirement.

Plan out a realistic budget, define your monthly scuba expenditures, and stick to it...unless theres a valid reason to go over budget, like- "ALL DIVE GEAR, 1st stages, 2nd stages, wetsuits, fins, EVERYTHING!!! NOW ON SALE FOR $1.00!!! EXCEPT DRYSUITS, drysuit sales price is 2 for $29.95.

Wow jahjah, that's kinda drastic:rofl3:

Oh, I still have a set of regs. I wasn't using that set, and decided I could always replace it for the same cost if/when I needed it in a year or two. :)

Ooh, yeah, definitely. And I'm also a student. I started with a mask and some fins...then i moved on to BCD, a reg setup, a drysuit and proper undies for it, oh, better replace that mask...and those fins...and of course i need an extra first stage just in case...and now i need a set of double tanks, an argon set up, another wing, another light...the list keeps growing. no matter how much gear I buy, I always find more that I "need".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom