where to dive in florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevenschwartz

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

My wife and I have been certified for 20 years, but our kids have recently been certified and caught the "bug." Just back from a Caribbean trip, and I was thinking of driving in my RV down to florida this sumer (yes I know south florida in the summer.) I have been diving in many caribbean locations (Cozumel, Bonaire, Curacao, Aruba, Cayman, etc,) but never in florida. If I were to choose one florida spot where would you recommend. We want to park the RV and dive for 5 or 6 days - not a lot of driving around when there. Also the kids are relatively new, so I'm not looking for 110 foot wrecks.

Thanks for the advice.

Steve

You can find some great shallower reefs in Key Largo, and Islamorada... They're easy, warm dives, the viz is typically very good, and the reefs are in very good shape, with lots of life...
If you and your wife decide to go for a couple of more adventurous dives, there's also the Duane, Bibb, and Spiegel Grove in the same areas...

Also a few excellent dive ops down there will cater to the diving you're looking for (do a search for Florida dive ops... you've got a choice of a number of quality ops). Silent World, Conch Republic, and Quiescence come to mind).

I second bkp for shallow reefs around Key Largo and Islamorada, but would not recommed the wrecks for inexperienced divers (esp the Duane and Bibb where the current can be rather strong), also, you may want to consider diving the freshwater springs around the Crystal River area (about an hour and a half north of Tampa on the gulf side), which are excellent choices for new divers.

Will third on Key Largo. I have an 11 yr old son that we have taken diving there a couple of times. We always go out with Horizon Divers and have been treated fantastic. If you want to go a little further into the Keys I highly recommend Looe Key. It's roughly 30 miles north of Key West. We took a group of 4 Jr OW divers there last summer with Looe Key Resort and Dive Center, and it was perfect for the age group. Also, if there are any in your group that do not dive, Looe Key is great for snorkelers as well.

If you don't want to go all the way to the Keys I recommend Pompano Beach, Deep Relief Dive Charters is a new charter that is really good.

I can only recommend the Keys for ease and convenience w/the family. I am sure you can even locate a number of RV spots easier than anywhere else in S. Florida.
As for the reefs off of Islamorada/Key Largo there are none better for sea life and ease of diving.
The tricky part is finding the best dive operator since there are so many to choose from; in my opinion Island Ventures, Silent World or FlKeys Dive. Best of luck.

Keys are great! If you want the maximum bottom time and more fish than you ever thought possible, ask for Snapper Ledges! My three fav operators are Conch Republic Divers, Blue Ocean Divers and Captain Slate's Atlantis Dive Center.

Well, I'll throw my hometown of Panama City Beach out there as a Keys alternative. We don't have the reefs but we have plenty of wrecks and Artificial reefs that hold massive swarms of fish, especially in the Summer and we never have anything approaching the current in the Keys. I'd also hazard a guess we are quite a few hours closer to you. I can say for sure it will be easier to drive an RV around thebeaches here than the Keys. However I must say that the Keys are an experience everyone should have at sometime, and I'm glad my family took me there when i was young. I still go once a year if possible, its a whole different country (Conch Republic) from the panhandle.

Key West- Boyds Campground 305-294-1465 (if you talk to Nancy mention scubaboard and trtldvr) . Campground is a half mile from Dive Key West boat and a short cab ride from any number of other opporators. Many shallow reefs and things to do at night. The Vandenberg will be down as well (yes, the sand will be deep, but much will be shallower than 60 feet. Something to think about as your week progresses) Sink the Vandenberg

Lower Keys- Bahia Honda State Park (has a campground) I believe there is an opporator running trips to Looe Key.

Middle Keys- Sunshine Key campground (sorry I dont have the number) I believe there is a shop right there.

Upperkeys- I don't know if Pennekamp has any camping. If it does Silent World id based there.

Hope this is useful.

Safe dives to you and your family
trtldvr
www.divealive.org

Thanks a million for your replies. I am thinking all considered Key Largo is starting to win. I may stay on long key (good state park with water and electric for the RV.) I guess you drive up to Largo to meet the dive operation?

Steve

Just a thought....If you are going to stay at Long Key and still want to dive the reefs off Key Largo I recommend going with one of the dive operators out of Islamorada. Will save you about 15-20 miles of driving time one way (and 30-40 round trip) and you dive many of the same spots (French/Molassas). Florida Keys Dive Center is top notch. You will actually be closer to Marathon. I have never dove out of that area before so I can't vouch for the ease of it with kids. I did meet the guys from Capt. Hooks out of Marathon at a trade show recently. They seem really nice and easy to work with. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom