Cypress Spring Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Four of us made a trip to Cypress Spring today. The short story is, the river and the spring is flooded. Water even over the spring is brown tanic water. The only place that is clear is inside the cavern. I have attached a few pictures so those of you who know the area can see it's current condition.

slowpokes2.jpg

Cypressfloodeddock.jpg

GlenCypress.jpg

HalfandHalf-1.jpg

TanicSun.jpg

Cavernentrance-1.jpg

cypressbadviz.jpg

On the bright side, we got a lot of much needed rain.

Looks a lot better than the walls of a cubicle however. I wish I could trade my day for a cold, no vis dive

Still got ambient light from the surface at the cavern, and 100+' vis in the cavern, sounds like a great set of dives to me :) Glad to hear you guys braved it out and made the best out of it. I'm actually kinda suprised that Cypress's basin is flooded out, but atleast its still springing!

Holy moly, that's high water!

As Bugman said, at least you still had ambient light on the cavern part of the dive, and the spring itself wasn't "blown out" or siphoning.

I agree....we had fun exploring the basin in low viz. You never knew what was just around the corner. I had about three large carp about take my mask off...apparently they were having trouble seeing too.:D Cavern was awesome. We spent time looking at the shells and sand dollars embedded in the rock. Pretty cool stuff in that cavern. Tried to get a picture of this sea shell embedded in the rock. I will have to post a picture of that tonight. The flow from the cavern is till strong...I had the camera in one hand, and had to pull myself through the opening with the other. It was a good weekend. We made three dives...although we had to work for them, in less then perfect conditions, but the saying is still true, "A bad day diving is better then a good day working!":D

Still got ambient light from the surface at the cavern, and 100+' vis in the cavern, sounds like a great set of dives to me :) Glad to hear you guys braved it out and made the best out of it. I'm actually kinda suprised that Cypress's basin is flooded out, but atleast its still springing!

As mentioned - that is a whole lotta water. Easy enough to just gear up in the dock.

Yeah, it was the best dive i've had so far this year Glen, thanks for the legwork to get us out there.

It was a fun day...with Cypress, half the fun is getting there. We will have to make a trip back when you can see ALL of Cypress....it is a great dive.

Yeah, it was the best dive i've had so far this year Glen, thanks for the legwork to get us out there.

Glen, Spring-SpringFest, atleast the Sunday of, we'll be making a trip out to Cypress if you guys are interested. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom