Got a job offer in Key West.. what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nova SS

Contributor
Reaction score
I trying to decied what to do, I got a job offer in Key West ( naval air staion ) and I went over the books, I can afford to do it but does they keys get boring after a few months??

Do you dive, do you fish, do you enjoy the water? If yes to these questions than NO the keys never get boring.

You're kidding right???? You dont know if you should do it???:rofl3:

If you get bored, just drive to Miami...It's like being in a foreign country. You'll feel like your on vacation :D

You're kidding right???? You dont know if you should do it???:rofl3:

What's funnier is he's asking us what we'd do!!!!!:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I bet he already knows the answer to that question.:bang:

Hell I'd do it.

I moved here 12 years ago and I am not bored yet.

It all depends on what you are looking for. If you want malls forget it, but if you enjoy the water this place is great. Obviously you like to dive. There is also the fishing, from fly fishing the flats to giong for sail fish in the deep water. Of course there is also the bar scene if you are so inclined (this often chews new residents up and spits them out. Partying is great while on vacation or once in a while, but can really get in the way of functioning when you have to work.)

Housing is expensive, but you probably have that worked out with NAS.

KW is truly a small town, but it does not know it. I can't walk a block in town without hearing "HI Bob". It is like Mayberry on acid, you aren't sure what Floyd the barber is into but what ever it is it's cool.

Safe dives
trtldvr
Florida Keys Safe Diving Initiative

Do you dive, do you fish, do you enjoy the water? If yes to these questions than NO the keys never get boring.

Aslo, if you drink, it's a no brainer! Hemingway was a lush, look where he liked to hang!:cheers:

Dive, drink, fish...What more do you need to know? Buy yourself a dozen pair of bermuda shorts, two dozen really bad Hawaiian shirts, a few pair of flip flops and a sweet pair of shades:14:, then pack the U-Haul and head south to paradise my friend!:auto:

Most people don't make the move, because the employment thing can be tough, depending on what you do for a living, but you seem to have that squared away - Start packing and jump on your Lama!!!!!:bananalama:

If you have never lived on the gulf coast, or Florida, you may want to talk to some natives about how fun hurricanes can be. It wouldn't be a factor for me, but some inlanders get a little freaked out over their first few storms.

We lived in Key West for many years and finally left. It (like many places) is not what it was, Hemingway (et.al.) would have moved elsewhere. The town has been, more or less, given over to the cruise ships. It stinks of diesel, while pasty white cruise ship based tourists wander up and down Duval buying things from the same shops that they have back home. There are a few good dive operators left, but Billy Deans' is gone. The fishing (I'm told) is still good. Most of the really good fine dining restaurants have changed hands and are surviving on the earlier reputations (notable exceptions are the Cafe where Jamile and Kieth are doing a bang up job there on Southard and Pepe's which never changes).

We were planning on moving back to the Keys, but after a few trips down and some exploring ... we decided on Hawaii instead.

If you're an active duty squid, after 3 years, you're gone anyway. If you're a GS-type, then you know the ropes for reassignment. I like it down there but not enough to want to live there for any length of time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom