Conch Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you check Websters ....
Main Entry: conch
Pronunciation: \ˈkäŋk, ˈkänch, ˈkȯŋk\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural conchs \ˈkäŋks, ˈkȯŋks\ or conches \ˈkän-chəz\
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin concha mussel, mussel shell, from Greek konchē; akin to Sanskrit śaṅkha conch shell
Date: 15th century
1: any of various large spiral-shelled marine gastropod mollusks (as of the genus Strombus); also : its shell used especially for cameos
2: often capitalized : a native or resident of the Florida Keys :wink:

To actually be a conch you need to have been born in the keys. A quick trip to Miami for your birth and you'll never be a true buba, the best you can be is a freshwater conch, along with all the other ex-pats, after ten to fifteen years.:D

Yes ... what is a Moutain Oyster? lol :wink:

lol divergirl if you dont know you dont want to lol

My father used to tell me this.

My grandfather was gassed in WWI and was sent to Wyoming for rehabilitation where he met his wife, my father's mother. When my father was 8 years old his mother died. As my grandfather was a single father and NYC police officer he would send my father to stay with his mother's people in Wyoming for the summers.

Dad would tell me the most wonderous tales of roping and branding and the sun rising in an explosion of colors that would amaze me, growing up in NYC myself.

He told me about the smell of fried rocky mountain oysters and how he loved them. One day he asked of his uncle "What are these? Veal cutlets?" His uncle replied "No, Clem's makin' some over there." :11:

Did you check Websters ....
Main Entry: conch
Pronunciation: \ˈkäŋk, ˈkänch, ˈkȯŋk\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural conchs \ˈkäŋks, ˈkȯŋks\ or conches \ˈkän-chəz\
Etymology: Middle English, from Latin concha mussel, mussel shell, from Greek konchē; akin to Sanskrit śaṅkha conch shell
Date: 15th century
1: any of various large spiral-shelled marine gastropod mollusks (as of the genus Strombus); also : its shell used especially for cameos
2: often capitalized : a native or resident of the Florida Keys :wink:

Yes I checked dicitionary.com but that didn't explain what a Conch Diver is or why there would be a separate forum for them. My first thought was that they are divers who dive specifically for conch snails. I've kept a reef tank for over 2 years so I was already pretty familiar with the term conch.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom