What's your favorite book about diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessicaDodge

Contributor
Reaction score
I love to read and have been looking around for some good books about diving. But have a hard time finding any. When I go to B&N and ask for books about scuba diving they take me too all the how to books... Like I am going to learn that from a book. But there aren't very many about people actually diving. They say they can order them if I give them the name. So I was wondering if you guys could post your fav. books and a little about why they are great.

Jessica

"The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury.
"Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria" by Kevin F. McMurray.

Both are fascinating books about tec diving. Coincidentially, I looked them up on Amazon to make sure of spelling, etc., and they have a deal when you buy both.

MgicTwnger once bubbled...
"The Last Dive" by Bernie Chowdhury.
"Deep Descent: Adventure and Death Diving the Andrea Doria" by Kevin F. McMurray.

Both are fascinating books about tec diving. Coincidentially, I looked them up on Amazon to make sure of spelling, etc., and they have a deal when you buy both.
Do a search for books and you will find some good threads on this topic...we have had a few in recent months.

Hi Jessica,

This is a great question. I did a search on Amazon.com a while ago looking for the same thing and ordered two books. One I liked, one I didn't. The good one is 'Down Time', a compiliation of short stories, magazine articles and novel excerpts written by writers who are also recreational divers. It has a lot of variety - one story is a Dave Barry column, some are articles that appeared quite some time ago in various defunct scuba magazines. Many well-known and not so well-known authors are represented. A great book to take on a dive trip.

The one I didn't like I don't remember the name, but it was an account of the travels of some guy who ditched his day job and traveled around the world diving. The premise sounds good but he was no writer and most of his adventures were on the juvenile side.

I did a search and found some threads about one or two books but there wasn't a lot of differant books per thread... It was kinda hey I read this book... lots of people saying it was great.. but not giving other books they liked or would recommend. Plus, it would be nice to have them in one easy thread I can print off and keep track of. If you know of a particular thread similer to this, let me know... I couldn't find it.

Jessica

I think the book you're talking about, Baz, is Rapture of the Deep. I finished it about a month ago, and though I didn't love it, I thought it was a decent read. I would agree that his adventures were fairly juvenile, but it was interesting to read about a guy that actually dropping everything and making a living at diving around the world. The author (I don't recall his name off hand) has apparently written some magazine articles also.

Rick

Boston Baz once bubbled...
The one I didn't like I don't remember the name, but it was an account of the travels of some guy who ditched his day job and traveled around the world diving. The premise sounds good but he was no writer and most of his adventures were on the juvenile side.

Hi Jessica. I can recommend the following as good reads. But don't tell your friends about how good they are, like I did...takes ages to get them back again! :)

The Last Dive by Bernie Chowdhury (co-founder and publisher of immersed magazine) - a true story of a father and son's fatal descent into the depths. This one made me question everything I do and why I do it. Still haven't stopped asking the questions, and it's a year since I read it. Extremely sad, very disturbing, hugely informative, a great read. Chowdhury was a good friend of Chris and Chrissy Rouse, knew them well, and had fantastic access to source material. Published here by Headline Books, London.

Exploration - A life of underwater adventure by Bob Ballard, who discovered the Titanic. Okay, more submarine diving than scuba diving, but a great read with fantastic pictures. Covers his entire career, but much of the book is about his dreams of finding the Titanic and his efforts to locate the famous wreck. Published here by Hyperion, New York.

Treasures of the Deep - the extraordinary life and times of Captain Mike Hatcher by Hugh Edwards. Brilliant read, true story about a self-made millionaire salvage expert who salvaged the 360,000-piece ceramics cargo of the Tek Sing in the South China Sea. The auction was a massive media event. Book has a lot more fascinating stuff besides. Published here by Harper Collins. More details of the Tek Sing cargo at this site (The book isn't as dull as this site is, believe me!)

Enjoy! :eek:ut:

I do not have a favorite that I like....but I do have one that I felt like I really wasted the money on...

it was called either....solo diver...or...diving solo....dont remember which...I threw the piece of junk away....

pls dont get into whether solo diving is bad...or good.....its just the book was really poorly written and gave absolutely no useful information at all....

do not waste your money on that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JessicaDodge once bubbled...
I did a search and found some threads about one or two books but there wasn't a lot of differant books per thread... It was kinda hey I read this book... lots of people saying it was great.. but not giving other books they liked or would recommend. Plus, it would be nice to have them in one easy thread I can print off and keep track of. If you know of a particular thread similer to this, let me know... I couldn't find it.

Jessica
Here's the list I posted in another thread...

In no particular order...
Fun
1. The Last Dive
2. Deep Descent
3. Beyond the Deep
4. Rapture of the Deep
5. The Cave Divers
6. Neutral Buoyancy

Info
1. The Oxygen Hacker's Guide
2. Stuff on the Internet
3. Law and the Diving Professional

Instruction
1. DIRF
2. Cave 1
3. Tech 1
4. Blueprint for Survival
5. Some PADI books
6. Some TDI books

RICHinNC once bubbled...
I do not have a favorite that I like....but I do have one that I felt like I really wasted the money on...

it was called either....solo diver...or...diving solo....dont remember which...I threw the piece of junk away....

pls dont get into whether solo diving is bad...or good.....its just the book was really poorly written and gave absolutely no useful information at all....

do not waste your money on that book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Solo Diving- The Art of Underwater Self-Sufficiency"

crap

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom