That's it. I'm sick and tired. I quit.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaJay

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been very much in love with writing my whole life. It means a lot to me. As I've mentioned before, it enables me to get a unique third-party point of view on things. I write to share. I write to rethink things. I write to make money. I write for a lot of reasons.

...And that's why I so very much enjoyed writing about my DIR-F class. It was important for me to rethink it and understand it, and it was important for me to share the experience. I needed to get other's outside views and get an outside view of the experience that was my own. Thank you, Scubaboard, for letting me write. Talking about things like this always allows me to grasp much more of the situation than I was able to grasp the first time around.

It was shocking to me how ill-prepared I was to do even the simplest maneuvers. Lord knows I want to have those skills. They're going to take time and a lot of practice. I've already commensed that procedure.

But there was an issue of health and fitness, too... And that's something that I can start today.

After a huge discussion on the board here on smoking, I've just had enough of it. I know the reasons why to quit. I know the health problems and the cardio problems associated with smoking... And I know how important those things are in diving.

So today I smoked my last cigar. I've just had enough. This isn't for DIR... And this isn't for diving. This isn't for the health reasons or anything else. This is for me. I just can do better for myself than to be using those things. I'm tired of being addicted and at a lower degree of fitness than I otherwise could be.

...So what's this got to do with scuba? Well... You tell me. :D And that will put an end to this silly debate as to whether or not divers should be smokers too.

I'm thinking of this not as "I gave up smokes," but as, "I'm giving myself a higher bar." Thanks for not bending the rules, MHK.

Reach, baby, reach. :(

SeaJay,
As a reformed smoker, now a non-smoker, I commend you for your efforts. Congrads. Your heart and lungs will thank you, food will taste better, and your probably adding years of quality life to your life...

Good luck on your new dietary regime. I think you'll be pleased at the results within about 2 weeks of your start date.

Nancy will be in touch you you on the fine points. We just returned after a intense 2-1/2 day education in mircobiology at the cellular level.

Your destined for great health in your future.

:)

I quit 14 months ago after 25 years of smokingand I heartly recomend the patch and zyban. Worked great for me :)

WTG keep at it

Cherry

SeaJay once bubbled...
I'm thinking of this not as "I gave up smokes," but as, "I'm giving myself a higher bar." Thanks for not bending the rules, MHK.

Reach, baby, reach. :(

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bending rules isn't my style for my classes ;-)

Seriously, congrats, I think you made a wise choice.. Andrew wants to know if you are now thinking vegetarian ;-)

See you soon and good luck..

Regards

I'm not a smoker. I mean, I enjoy a cigar every once in a while, but I don't jones, its not an addition, etc. My entire family smoked - heavy, all through my growing up - I think that's why its just not for me.

Many of us have stories about family members, friends, etc. cut short by smoking. For me it was my mom.... just tragic.

My (now) wife quit while we were dating, after smoking for about 14 or 15 years. She loved every cigarette, loved smoking, etc. Never regretted a one. It was quite miraculous how it all happened (her quitting) and how she's not gone back.

It changed her life. It healed her in so many ways. Don't ever kid yourself that you won't miss it, etc. While I can't 100% say I know what you'll be going through, I can say that I've been on this side of it, and I know its important to acknowledge and share and talk about it. You can PM me anytime if you're going through some stuff and you see the enemy returning, or you just want encouragement or prayer or anything.

Anytime.

You've made a great decision (for the right reason) - but its gonna be tough. I'm completely fired up for you!

Be strong.

K

PS: Veg rocks.

Congratulations SeaJay! You have made the most important decision in your life.
I quit smoking in 1981 (I loved cigars too!). Now, after 22 years of attending more funerals than I can count for friends who died of cancer from smoking, it was worth it.
Oh, and your breathing rate will improve also. Have a great and long life!

MHK once bubbled...

WAY TO GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bending rules isn't my style for my classes ;-)

Seriously, congrats, I think you made a wise choice.. Andrew wants to know if you are now thinking vegetarian ;-)

See you soon and good luck..

Regards

SeaJay, good luck on the non-smoking trick. I haven't had a smoke in 6 months (2 1/2 since the patch), but that vegetarian thing..... its for the cows :wink:

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom