IMAX - Amazing Caves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaScott

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone seen the IMAX movie "Amazing Caves"? I have to go on a bit of a drive to get there (IMAX theatre), but it sounds pretty interesting and was wondering if its worth it to see? On the same note, I've never seen an IMAX film I didn't like......

SS

I didn't see it in IMAX format though. I saw a VHS copy. I know one of the videographers so I got a sneek preview. It is divied into 3 parts (ice caving, dry caving, and cave diving) and follows 2 chicks on their adventures. I liked it, and I bet that its really great on the IMAX screen. Also watching it got me interested in dry caving which I will be doing in 2 weeks. Woo hoo, another new hobby, more money to spend.

I've been dying to see it; but it's not come anywhere locally that I know of. I've been trying to pull some strings and get it locally, but I've not had luck yet.

I think IMAX has a website and you can buy VHS copies of it there.

I haven't seen it but I know a few that have and they said it was fantastic. I hope it makes the rounds to IMAX theaters again soon.

I saw it about a year ago. Overall it was a good film, although I have to say that I enjoyed the dry cave and ice cave sections better than the cave diving. Hazel Barton, a British researcher who one of the leads (I can't remember the other's name, but she is a teacher from Georgia), does some cave diving in the Yucatan. As wil most productions that show cave diving it is BY FAR overdramatized. They show Hazel going through a tight restriction in sidemount gear, but the camera is in FRONT of her. Have you ever seen an IMAX camera? They are huge. Point being, it was totally staged shot to dramatize the diving. The science part of the movie was pretty neat. Overall it was wortht he couple bucks to see it (but there is an IMAX theater here where I live).

My .02 worth.

...and agree with Chickdiver. Overall, it was a good flick, but the cave diving part bordered on scary sometimes. I heard they shot the restriction part a bunch of times because they kept silting the whole thing out and ruining the shot. I also heard that the teacher had only been diving a couple weeks or something and had an OW card...mind you this is all HERESAY and may not be true unless people can corroborate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom