Only AL80's allowed for Spiegel Grove?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all4scuba05

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It seems that's all the charter will supply me with for a dive.

Are there not charters that set divers up with a something for a little longer BT?

It seems that's all the charter will supply me with for a dive.

Are there not charters that set divers up with a something for a little longer BT?

That's all I've seen for rentals on any boats. If you want more, you'll need to bring your own.

"Longer bottom time" might be a problem depending on how long you can get out of a tank. You'll need to check on how long they'll let you stay down. Most boats are on a schedule, and if you stay down too long, you might not have enough of a SI to do the second dive, or you might make the boat late for it's return trip to pickup the next group.

Terry

They have a shop with tanks. It's not a reef dive at 30 ft. I thought maybe they would have something a little different to choose from. I'm not even allowed to bring doubles for that dive.

They have a shop with tanks. It's not a reef dive at 30 ft. I thought maybe they would have something a little different to choose from. I'm not even allowed to bring doubles for that dive.

Not allowed to bring doubles?? What charter op is the dive with?
While I'm not sure there are shops renting larger steel tanks, I know Silent World Key Largo rents double 80s and maybe Conch Republic does as well.

That's the dive op making a statement.

No doubles and AL 80's means: "Don't go in to deco and don't stay down too long because we don't want blow our schedule" It also means "Don't penetrate the wreck."

Terry

Find another dive op. I did a dive on the Grove in doubles. It wasn't a deco dive (I was diving with my sister who was in an AL80), but they had no problems letting me bring on doubles.

We have other size tanks for those qualified to use them such as doubles, Al 40's stage bottles, steel and Al 100's, and steel 85's. We even rent CCR bottles.

Granted a lot of the time's these dives aren't planned as deco dives so more gas is not needed. Some shops, such as ours, schedule double dips on these wrecks which lend itself to planned deco dives. As long as you have the cert's and experience then these extended dives are not an issue.

If you have anymore questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Diving,

I know that Horrizon will let you dive whatever you bring, and I belive that they rent doubles and stage bottles or whatever you want.

But most shops should let you dive what you bring, but not all will fill personal tanks

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom