Oxy Mach V vs. Halcyon Eclipse Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

runway1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What are the pros/cons? Preferences?

I'm diving 7mm suit with singles (steel HP100) in cold water here in socal - no doubles. I know the Eclipse needs an STA but that's no biggie.

Any other inputs or considerations? Will the Mach V fit the Halcyon BP? I'm wondering because I can find used H-gear easily and heck, it's a steel plate.

I know DSS also makes a great setup at a fair price, but I wanted to make this comparison for now. Thanks all.

I know you said you want to keep this comparison between OxyCheq and Halcyon, but seeing as you live within driving distance of DSS (and could see all the products first hand and have local support in case of any future issues), and seeing as I personally find the DSS singles rig superior to that of Oxy and H (and yes, I've used all three), you might want to rethink your options.

I know you said you want to keep this comparison between OxyCheq and Halcyon, but seeing as you live within driving distance of DSS (and could see all the products first hand and have local support in case of any future issues), and seeing as I personally find the DSS singles rig superior to that of Oxy and H (and yes, I've used all three), you might want to rethink your options.

Well now that's a very good point. I certainly will.

What are the pros/cons? Preferences?

I'm diving 7mm suit with singles (steel HP100) in cold water here in socal - no doubles. I know the Eclipse needs an STA but that's no biggie.

I have an Eclipse 30 and a Mach V Extreme (30). I'm not sure how different a Mach V Extreme is to a regular Mach V...

The Mach V Extreme's material and bladder are quite thick compared to the Eclipse's. Underwater, the Mach V Extreme will not hug the tank as closely as the Eclipse. On the surface the Mach V Extreme will squeeze against any weight pockets placed on the cam band (with or without STA). OxyCheq wings also have this annoying flap that covers the corrugated hose near wear it joins the wing - this can be cut off.

I like that the Eclipse has a wide (and very tough) corrugated hose and a carry handle sewn on the back. The Mach V Extreme has a plastic OEM corrugated hose.

Both wings are very compact and work well. The Eclipse is tough but the Mach V Extreme is practically indestructible :D Early Eclipses were sold with the (now discontinued) Halcyon stainless steel inflator (which I rather like due to slow inflation). Both wings now come standard with identical OEM power inflators.

I actually refer to use a STA, even with the Mach V (which does not need it). I find that without the STA, the tank and consequently the first stage is too close to my head and makes it just slightly more awkward for me to reach my valve.

The Halcyon STA - with metal buckles and "octo grip" cam bands is very nice to use.

Will the Mach V fit the Halcyon BP?

Yes, the Mach V will fit a Halcyon bp.

Attachments

• MachVEclipse30.jpg
    MachVEclipse30.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 230
  • MachVEclipse30rigged.jpg
    MachVEclipse30rigged.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Even though you like them both, I read that you give a slight edge to the Halcyon, correct?

Also, the pics show the Oxy on left and Halcyon on right, correct? Thanks. That's great input.

I have an Eclipse 30 and a Mach V Extreme. I'm not sure how different a Mach V Extreme is to a regular Mach V...

The Mach V Extreme's material and bladder are quite thick compared to the Eclipse's. Underwater, the Mach V Extreme will not hug the tank as closely as the Eclipse. On the surface the Mach V Extreme will squeeze against any weight pockets placed on the cam band (with or without STA). OxyCheq wings also have this annoying flap that covers the corrugated hose near wear it joins the wing - this can be cut off.

I like that the Eclipse has a wide (and very tough) corrugated hose and a carry handle sewn on the back. The Mach V Extreme has a plastic OEM corrugated hose.

Both wings are very compact and work well. The Eclipse is tough but the Mach V Extreme is practically indestructible :D Early Eclipses were sold with the (now discontinued) Halcyon stainless steel inflator (which I rather like due to slow inflation). Both wings now come standard with identical OEM power inflators.

I actually refer to use a STA, even with the Mach V (which does not need it). I find that without the STA, the tank and consequently the first stage is too close to my head and makes it just slightly more awkward for me to reach my valve.

The Halcyon STA - with metal buckles and "octo grip" cam bands is very nice to use.

Will the Mach V fit the Halcyon BP?/QUOTE]

Yes, the Mach V will fit a Halcyon bp.

Even though you like them both, I read that you give a slight edge to the Halcyon, correct?

Yes, slight edge to the Halcyon. I was initially seduced by the Mach V Extreme's small dimensions but it really makes no difference underwater.

Otoh, the Mach V is very useful for travel, especially when space/weight allowance is restricted as I can leave the STA at home. However, as I use the same bp for singles and doubles, it's a bit of a PITA for me to rig up a bp with cam bands and then having to remove them so I can use the bp with doubles. Using a STA just makes everything so much easier.

Also, the pics show the Oxy on left and Halcyon on right, correct?

Yes, Oxy on left, Halcyon on right (both rigs using Halcyon backplates).

Are you my doppelganger Vie? I have the exact same setups as yourself and agree 100% with what you've said about both.

The Mach V wing itself is also heavier compared to the Halcyon if travel weight is a consideration.

I've got both as well. My corrigated hose on the Mach V is much longer then the Halcyon. The Mach V is a tuffer wing thinker inside and out. I prefer the Halcyon STA. The straps are lower giving you more adjustments with a tank. Dont get me wrong the Halcyon stuff does cost more and they give you a lot of small parts (the riveted hole in the halcyon webbing for the STA screw; the Halcyon SS buckel with the little tabs that is idot proof threading the webbing; all the little rubber pieces provided with the webbing, etc.) that make it nicer. I'm not saying they are worth the cost difference, but if you got the $ there are some nice touches. I would recommend the Halcyon eclipse package over all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom