Puerto Galera vs. Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T. Brooks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm hoping to get a little help planning a dive trip while my ship is in Manila. We will be arriving 4 Jun, and leaving on the 9th, so I will have to be back in Manila on the 8th. When I get in on the 4th, I may not be able to get off the ship until supper time. Peurto Galara that late, or am I better off diving in Anilao? I understand Aquaventures is a great place in Anilao, but if I do end up in PG, could someone recommend a great resort at a reasonable price? Thanks much.

Tony

Asia Divers is very good. I'm sure the rest will chime in...

Hi Tony, there are lots of good places in PG. Waht are you looking for? Big operations? Small? All inclusive? Just dive OP? Dirt cheap? Top quality? Recreational? Or technical? Or both? There are litterally tons of options and each person here has his/her favorite. So you need to help us help you by letting us know a bit more about what you are looking for!

As for PG getting there... If you can only get off the ship at suppertime, that means 2 things: either you hire a private boat to take you across from Batangas to Sabang at night (most good dive shops can arrange this for you) or you wait till the next morning for the first banka (you can leave Manila on the first jam bus at 5h30 am and make it to the pier in time for the first ferry).

Or, as you mentioned Anilao where there is no ferry and you can arrive late and be there next morning no problems...

Hope this helps!:coffee:

You can get private transport arranged by the dive shop to pick you up and have a bangka waiting for you but next morning is just as good and I don't think you have your gear? PG has the night life, Anilao not much at all.

I would say that PG is the best way to go. If you get a private transfer all the way through you can have a sleep in the van from Manila to Batangas were you will catch a bunka to Sabang Beach. Up the next morning for a 8-9am dive...dive all day and finish off your last dive on the floating bar with a beer before going back to your lodgings for a shower, some food and then out for a few more beers and a game of pool. Asia divers is a good call, so is Atlantis (bit more expensive).

I'm hoping to get a little help planning a dive trip while my ship is in Manila. We will be arriving 4 Jun, and leaving on the 9th, so I will have to be back in Manila on the 8th. When I get in on the 4th, I may not be able to get off the ship until supper time. Peurto Galara that late, or am I better off diving in Anilao? I understand Aquaventures is a great place in Anilao, but if I do end up in PG, could someone recommend a great resort at a reasonable price? Thanks much.

Tony

Where is your ship pulling in to? That's going to affect time to get there and perhaps cost as well. You can get to PG in time to dive in the afternoon as long as you catch the first bus to Batangas in the morning on the 5th. You can probably arrange pickup to go to Anilao and arrive there the night of the 4th, which will give you 3 full dive days, coming back to Manila on the 8th. If you go to PG unless you pay for private transport, you're going to only get 2 1/2 dive days.

I'm planning on being at Club Ocellaris in Anilao the 1st-6th and Aquaventure on the 7th, then going to PG on the 8th. For someone coming by themselves, Club Ocellaris had the best rate.

You're welcome to come dive with me if you like. The problem you'll run into during the week in Anilao is finding someone to dive with. Weekends no problem. Plenty of people to dive with which makes it much cheaper. During the week, it can be hit or miss from what I'm told. (Theres actually an entire thread on this exact subject :)) If you have no one to dive with then you're cost goes up substantially in Anilao (higher than PG). I'm prepared to pay $15 extra per dive, if there is no one to dive with, so if you come, I'll save money :wink:

The second thing as has already been mentioned is your preference for nightlife. Anilao has none from what I'm told (my first trip there). Puerto Galera speaking from personal experience... plenty! :wink:

PG has a wide variety of operations. Overall for someone coming by themselves, they're going to be cheaper.... and if you're a young single guy, you'll probalby have more fun there outside of diving :wink:

If you're interested in diving with me at Anilao, PM me.

Sorry to rise a dead post but it is now 2013 and I am planning a dive trip late April early May for a few weeks. I will be hitting tubbataha reef on a liveaboard. I am try to decide on Anilao vs Puerta Gallera for value vs diving. I gather that Anilao has slightly better macro subjects and more relaxing but is more costly. PG is cheaper and more of a city. I would love the assist on making the call of which to stay at.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom