The question is AI or not to AI, that's the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mason417

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I appreciate everyone on here, they have been so helpful. So the main question use AI or not?

Well there really is another part to the question.
Whether is be prudent to have a hose connecting your AI computer or opt for wireless AI.
A big part of the decision making process should be the type of diving you intend to do and it's risks and requirements.
If you are going to limit yourself to No Deco diving then a AI computer although not required is a nice piece of equipment that may help extend your bottom time. Like any piece of dive equipment you should be aware of it's risks and requirements to minimize those risks to a level that you are comfortable with.
Differing dive specialties may present different risks & requirements that may or may not make the AI computer a good or bad choice.

I am strictly a rec diver 100' or less. Not into cave or deep penetrating wrecks. I do admire those who can, its just not my cup of tea. I prefer to have no deco diving.

...I need to warn you, once you use an AI computer, you will find it hard to go back to non-AI...they're pretty cool and are especially helpful for a new diver.

Assistant Instructor is about the most useless certification that there ... aw, ... Never Mind!

Assistant Instructor is about the most useless certification that there ... aw, ... Never Mind!

:laughing: Good one!

I was thinking AI = Artificial Intelligence, then realized the OP was asking about Air Integrated... sigh, I'm getting old...

To the OP: If you have extra $$ buring a hole in your pocket, sure, why not? But if $$ is tight, I'd recommend spending it elsewhere in your equipment... better regulator, etc.

I don't see a huge need for one (for me that is, but heck, when I first started diving in the '70's I didn't have a BCD, octo or SPG either; but that's another story...), but do acknowledge the technology is very cool... I guess I think "simpler is better", just a personal bias.

Safe Diving!

My hobby is underwater DSLR photography, and a wrist mounted AI computer is great. Very simple to just glance from the view finder to my wrist. Downloading dive profiles is also very slick: wireless infrared instead of a USB cable.

You will have fun whichever way you go!

Dan

I bought a Non AI computer in Februari because I thought I wouldn't need an AI computer till next year or something. Low and behold after I got a bcd with an air 2 I'm kicking myself because I want to elliminate another hose and go AI.

Lesson learned: If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought an AI computer (initial decision) and then added the transmitter at a later stage.

P.S. I'm into photography as well and I hate things hanging off me other than my camera.

Don

I'm just a lowly old Padi Scuba Diver at this point, will be OW soon, but for what it's worth, I made my decision this way:

In my life, to date, I've been the victim of consistent Murphy's Law issues. Nothing life threatening, but I worked in IT for a long time before becoming a Cop, and I had to deal with wireless routers and the like in Networking for 5-7 years.

The reason I won't buy a hoseless computer is the same reason I won't use a wireless router. Every time I need them the most - they seem to fail. I'm not willing to take that risk underwater. The person who got me into diving has a hoseless, and there are times, even in shallow water, where he has to move his wrist close to his first stage to get the PDC to sync up again.

(No matter what anyone says - I have heard EVERY marketing scheme for every wireless device that claims "failproof" or "uninterruptable." Somone will inevitably say "I've had a hoseless for 5 years with no problems". Great - but I'm still not gonna use it!)

The reason I won't buy an AI computer is because SPG's have been around forever, the analog gauge can really only fail if it sticks, and if it sticks, it's going to be painfully obvious. If you have been down for 5 minutes and used "no" air according to the SPG, it's time to go up.

Again - I'm just an uneducated, not even fully certified diver - so my opinions aren't worth the time it took you to read this, but simply on the knowledge I have of computerized/wireless/digital equipment, I think I'll wait a while longer before I upgrade to all digital equipment.

Just to prove I'm a worry-wart - before my first OW dive - I will be equipped with a backup computer, most likely a Geo or Manta, I have really taken to them since I saw them at the shop here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom