Friday - June 27th - Anyone Interested?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mmwal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Y'all! I'm going to be coming to coming to Gulf Shores w/my LDS the weekend of the 27th to do the Oriskany and a couple of other sites but I was thinking about taking Friday (the 27th) off, coming down a little earlier in the day than originally planned, and trying to get in a dive or two on Friday afternoon. Is anybody interested in joining me?

I can fit a beach dive in early Friday, but will have to leave around 9:30AM or so to head to High Springs, FL to finish up Full Cave.

What did you have in mind and how early did you plan on getting in town?

What did you have in mind and how early did you plan on getting in town?

I will probably drive down Thursday night and stay with a friend so a morning dive sounds good! I have not done any shore diving in Gulf Shores so I am open to suggestions.

High Tide on Friday is 6:45AM, so if you want to dive Alabama Point(a large dive site with max depth of 30' and lots of life), we'd have to get out there 6:15AM or so. If there is surf, this place is a bit more reliable than other beachd dives in the area as the channel keeps the divesite mostly under protected conditions.

We can dive the Whiskey Wreck at any time, its tide independant. Surf plays a much larger factor here though. Alot of the wreck is covered by the sandbar, but still over 100' of the starboard side hull is visible and lots of life swarm it. Max depth is around 15', so you can get a hefty bottomtime. We often leave after an hour or better out of boredom(you can only circle the wreck so many times before it becomes monotonous). We'd be able to start here whenever, as long as I'm out by 9AM, so I can get going by 9:30AM.

Visibility at either site average in the 5-15' range, but can exceed that by double or triple. It can also hit close to zero visibility if surf is up, winds are out of the west, and/or we've been having a ton of rain.

Jellyfish have been thick, so protection might be wise. Waters warm enough to dive in simple swimwear, but I'd wear at the very least a skin(0.5mm) to keep the stingers away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom