Deep Diving Records

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inner space

Reaction score
Mark Andrews nearly killed himself trying to set a deep air record at 156m, in august he is trying to attempt a trimix dive to 333m,is this pushing back the boundaries of exploration,or a dive too far, what do you think?:eek:

inner space once bubbled...
Mark Andrews nearly killed himself trying to set a deep air record at 156m, in august he is trying to attempt a trimix dive to 333m,is this pushing back the boundaries of exploration,or a dive too far, what do you think?:eek:
Yes! :)

inner space once bubbled...

John Bennett did 1008fsw... I want to say it took 13 min. to get down and about 15hrs of deco...

Anyone know for sure??

but I hate to see any publicity come out of it, either positive if he survives, or negative if he doesn't.

Personally I think its dumb to do it with no objective. If he were going down to pick up a bag of diamonds I'd be more understanding.

Its his ass I guess <shrug>

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Personally I think its dumb to do it with no objective. If he were going down to pick up a bag of diamonds I'd be more understanding.

WW

I agree.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
Personally I think its dumb to do it with no objective.

WW

Does it benefit the research community at all?

I dont know squat about trimix or hyperbaric chambers etc. But, im guessing you could perform controlled laboratory diving experiments using a chamber to test depth limitations and capabilities.

So im thinking diving that deep in the open ocean serves no scientific value except to benefit ones own ego?

What do you think?

Every extreme record is like this. Half the people who hear about it say "why is this person risking it?" and the other half say "Cool." I think it's part of the human mystery what drives anyone to go deeper, colder, beyond the limits - often the only answer is "because no one else has".

I'm with WreckWriter on this one. I'm a little disturbed by the publicity. Clearly the journalists writing a little column in their no-name town's daily enquirer will leave out critical parts that will result in the death of 3 or 4 copycats. And if he dies trying, the journalists will once again scream from the clifftops - "see I told you scuba diving was completely dangerous and should be attempted only by the Jaques Cousteaus of the world, and not the average person for recreational purposes."

WW,you are funny.My only worry is that Uncle Sugar might step in someday with regs. to protect us from ourselves .

100days-a-year once bubbled...
WW,you are funny.My only worry is that Uncle Sugar might step in someday with regs. to protect us from ourselves .

I agree, its a real danger.

WW

25 years ago PADI had everybody convinced that if you dove bellow 130 feet you would explode.
if it wasn't for those people out there pushing the limits and discovering new methods and techniques then we would not have things like trimix, rebreathers, decompression diving, etc.

today people talk about 300 feet as if it is nothing, 10 years ago it was unreachable, except for those pushing for things like depth records.

20 years from now we might be diving on wrecks that are 600 - 800 feet deep as if they were 200 feet today.

one example of extreme diving is cave diving. look at the whole DIR philosiphy, it would not exist if it were not for some divers developing methods to go far beyond what the general diver thought was possible.

it is about pushing your personal limits, publicity does usualy work against you in these matters, but it is a necessary evil because it is required if you are going to get any sort of sponsorship. to complete a deep dive can be very costly.

technology is only developed by those who are interested in pushing there own limits, and the example used of going after a bag of diamonds. not all things are monetary in value, sometimes it is just about personal satisfaction.

you will all be around 20 years from now, maybe not diving, but watch what happens to diving in that time, general diving depths will increase substantualy, rebreathers will be common place, things like comunications, and heads up displays will be standard equipment. and it will only be developed by those pushing there limits either for monetary gain or personal satisfaction. that technology will then tricle down to the general scuba diver like all of you. diving still has a long ways to grow and develop.
just sit back and watch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom